3. Carnival Panorama
Just back from a week on the Panorama plus a bonus day on the ship when a passenger got sick and needed medical testing to ensure it wasn’t corona. It wasn’t, thank goodness. The ship is clean and modern. It follows the Carnival layout for the most part. However, for those of us who need accessibility features, Panorama is vastly better than its predecessors. There are handicapped restrooms everywhere now. Huge help for me as I use a wheelchair and cannot stand or walk. We had a fully accessible balcony cabin and it was pretty easy to manage. The balcony was not easy; the depth was narrow and I would not have been able to turn around to go back in the cabin. Our cabin held a lot of mobility equipment with ease. We managed with my husband’s large scooter, his large walker, and my large power chair. Then my wheelchair frame snapped (steel!) and I had to borrow one of the ship’s small scooters. It fit too! The ramp to access the balcony is too close to the side of the bed, making getting in and out of bed even more difficult due to the angled floor. A grab bar near the bed would have been smart. Dining was terrific and we enjoyed all the options. We did the anytime. Never had to wait. The steakhouse was amazing. We loved Guy Fieri’s burgers last year on the Magic. Not so much on Panorama. The cheese seemed different. It was equally unpleasant in Pig and Anchor’s macaroni and cheese. Not a crisis as there is plenty to feast on and it’s all tasty. Crew was fabulous and warm and showed such hospitality when disembarkation shut down due to the health crisis. They were wonderful. Our room steward Ade was a peach. The big shows were great. We saw Broadway Beats and Rock Revolution. Excellent! We also hit the comedy club and several smaller live performances and loved all. The violin trio wasn’t quite as good as the trio on Magic. No worries. Overall, a wonderful cruise. I can’t speak to the ports as I wasn’t permitted to take the borrowed scooter I the ship. My husband had fun in all three. Cruise director Emma is so bubbly and sweet. Other senior staff were also relaxed and pleasant. Embarkation took forever and we waited in endless lines to board. The first attempt at disembarking was chaotic and confusing. The second time was better. That said, I am a large woman and when we reached the dome in Long Beach I got stuck because so many wheelchair pushers refused to take me. I get it; I’m not easy. But they were openly nasty about it. One of the porters suggested we take a Carnival bus to LAX. We had planned to use Access Paratransit but the bus team escorted us to a big bus with a lift and said it was free because we were ADA. Nice surprise!

Lovely crew, big improvements