Golden Princess Cruise Review

Golden Princess Cruise Review by williamchappelli

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: Australia & New Zealand
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

We chose this cruise because we liked a previous cruise on the Golden Princess which was also to New Zealand. As this cruise was departing Adelaide and returning to Adelaide we thought this would be an advantage over previous cruises. This proved to be not the case. Princess did not inform us that Adelaide to Melbourne, Melbourne to NZ to Melbourne and Melbourne to Adelaide would be 3 seperate cruises and it would be mandatory disembarking in Melbourne on both occasions.

Overall we found the entertainment, the food and service to be down about 20 to 30 percent from previous cruises. We felt that this was because the ship was being transferred to P & O in October 2020 and the standards had dropped significantly.

All was not dissappointing as we did have many enjoyable moments and met nice people. Our dinner staff were terrific as was our cabin attendant.

Finally to further tarnish the cruise I caught a serious virus 2 days from home and disembarkation which necessitated me spending my last 16 hours of the cruise layed up in the medical centre. I was very well looked after but it came at an enormous cost of almost $6K for 16 hours . Fortunately I was able to recover the most of the fee from insurance.

However I am still having invoice hassles with our Princess friends in the USA regarding payment of the medical invoice although it was finalized on the 10th February.

I am afraid it will be sometime, if at all that we regain confidence in Princess Cruises.

williamchappelli's Full Rating Summary