• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Julie Stock
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Feb 2020
Cabin:

Being a solo traveller I normally holiday with companies who specifically target this market and I had been wary of cruising since I split up with my ex about 8 years ago. We had done about 20 cruises but I know that solo travellers weren't catered for on any of the cruise companies I had been with previously.

However the Cruise Director on the Spirit of Discovery arranged for a pre-dinner Solo Traveller Cocktail Hour in the Britannia Lounge every night. This was marvellous, there were about 30 to 40 ladies who turned up every evening and half a dozen gentlemen. We could then all go to the the various restaurants together and then on to the theatre etc. We also arranged to meet for lunch on the sea days and to do the various activities together.

Although it was lovely talking to all the passengers who were travelling as a couple I always find it quite nerve racking going into dinner alone and I definitely don't want to sit in a bar on my own.

This is the first time I have travelled without a suite and butler. It was a lovely spacious cabin with balcony, dressing table, 2 chairs and coffee table, huge bed with TV facing. Next time I would probably go further back as the Force 10 gales were crashing on the front and whistling outside kept me awake when the weather was really bad. Cabin steward Jason was delightful, very cheery and attentive and kept the cabin immaculate.

6 Helpful Votes