3. Norwegian Breakaway
NCL was our go-to cruise line for several years. My son wanted to try a larger ship so we took an Eastern Caribbean cruise on Breakaway. Been there, done that. Too many people for the size of the amenities. Tiny main pool. Difficulty getting a drink order during busy times and a horrible layout for smoking areas. The casino is a smoking area and unfortunately is open to the entire deck so after a day or two it smells like a giant ashtray. Not a problem if you smoke but hard on the rest of us. Also, the top deck smoking area is literally right next to the kiddie pool. An attempt to recruit new smokers? We have not cruised on NCL in four years. Celebrity and Princess since then, and it appears NCL has moved more toward Carnival. No enforced dress codes for dining, even at the Specialty restaurants. At Cagney's, their primary steak restaurant, the table next to mine was a girl in a tank top, short shorts and flip flops. I like to go with a blazer or sport coat and I am trying to show my son how to dress for dinner. The French Specialty restaurant had many diners in tee shirts. If the rest of NCL has moved in this direction, I probably need to move on to other cruise lines. We bought the Priority Access package so our boarding and debarkation was with the Platinum and Haven people so it could not have gone smoother, other than lack of directions for the paying passengers. Even some of the crew were not familiar with the program. My son has Aspergers so I wanted to get passes to the Vibe Beach Club which is less crowded but they only have 60 spaces and cannot be booked or reserved in advance. If you are not very first in line, chances are slim. We missed out. Service was not the crews' fault. Too many people. Dinner was a 2 hour experience on most nights which cost us our entertainment reservations twice. The main pool is the smallest I have seen on a cruise ship. Way too small for 4000 passengers. Chaise hogs were the norm with towels being spread around as early as 7 in the morning. Never saw a crew member doing anything about it. The Spa is very small based on ship size. The Pearl Spa is larger with more choices and Pearl carries almost half the passengers that Breakaway boards. Several times all the warm ceramic loungers were full, with people pulling the chaise hog routine in the spa.with draped towels on the loungers. The entertainment was good but everything was booked up months before the cruise. Several of the shows could only be booked onboard which gave those without early reservations a chance. There is a cruise on Pearl next year my son is interested in but with the excesses of those on the free drink packages and the apparent lowering of NCL's dinner and evening dress codes, It may be time to move on to another cruise line.

Not for non-smokers

mcfo’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Large Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B6
Large balcony was nice but too many people were using their balconies as smoking areas. Not bad underway because we were forward but pretty bad in ports. Room was about average size for a balcony room. Very good shower.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins