3. Enchantment of the Seas
Ship overall – it is showing it’s age. Rust on the outside, the banisters in the pool area need refinishing as they are chipped and worn. Carpets did not seem to be stained and had normal wear and tear. The ship was very clean. Dining – Unless you selected an Indian or Asian dish, the food was lacking in any kind of spice or flavor, so table salt went a long way. On one night, one of the entrée selections was Tiger Prawns – on the advice of our server, he said the shrimp was the same size as the ones in the shrimp cocktail and recommended the rack of lamb. We had second seating dining. When we ordered beef or lamb, we specified a lesser degree of doneness, because the entrée always came out more done (from sitting under heat lamps?). For example, if I wanted something as medium, I ordered medium rare and the doneness was just where I wanted it. Our waitstaff was wonderful – I would give them 5 stars. In the Windjammer, my husband raved about the hamburgers – always a standard selection. The carving station was a welcome addition as well as the gluten free buffet options. Some selections in both the main dining room and buffet were ‘not what you expected,’ but that’s the fun of expanding horizons. The selection at breakfast was not a diverse as it was on sister ship Vision of the Seas which we had been on a year earlier. On Vision, we could get hollandaise sauce for breakfast and so make our own version of eggs benedict….on Enchantment, that was only available in the main dining room. On-board entertainment – We did not see all the shows. The comedian on night 1 was funny; the musical production on night 2 was one we had previously seen on another ship; the ventriloquist as humorous as well. My husband and son did one of the trivia games, and won a much coveted RCCL highlighter. Bobby, the Cruise Director, seemed pretty ‘one note,’ and lacked sincerity in his ‘niceness.’ Ports of Call – when we got to Costa Maya, there was another ship in our assigned berth, so we were unable to stop. Lots of rumors on what had happened, but nothing from the bridge or cruise director as to why we were unable to stop. But, without our requesting it, RCCL credited the port charges and taxes for that stop. Cozumel – we had been there several times before, and it was the usual. Other – despite constant reminders to wash hands and cover coughs, an elderly lady coughed on me while in a line at the ladies’ restroom, and shared her cold with me. Yuck! Although they did confiscate my heating pad at embarkation, I was able to retrieve it once we had sailed. I had notified RCCL prior to sailing about my need, and they allowed the heating pad because it had auto shut off. However, I had to prove it is auto shut off by traveling with the original packaging and provide the email I had from RCCL stating that I could use it on board. RCCL sent out almost daily notices when the coronavirus first struck, all in text message with a note to read the emails sent to us. About January, I stopped receiving any emails from RCCL, and had to have my husband forward them to me. When I called RCCL about it, I was told that my booking agent must have left that box blank on my paperwork. They said I had to go back through my booking agent to get it fixed. So, I’m still not receiving any emails, even the one they need me to complete as a satisfaction survey. Another missed opportunity, RCCL. Of note: We did find out from the staff, that they are employed directly by RCCL, and not an agency. Apparently if an agency was providing their contract, they take a percentage of their earnings. Just an FYI if that is something important to you.

Nice getaway

Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by dmedward

dmedward’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas price drops

Interior
Cabin 4V
rear of the ship, inside cabin. Mostly quiet, you could only hear sound from the entertainment venues (Centrum?) on several occasions, and it wasn’t enough to disturb sleep. It was a great cabin, although the set up was a little strange. The chair was stuck in a corner between the bathroom wall and the closet. It would have been a nice reading nook had there been a light there other than the general room lights. It also blocked half the closet making the chest of drawers in the closet inaccessible, and the other door of the closet could not close. You could tell by a mark on the mirror that there used to be a table in the cabin, thankfully, it had been removed. The ship is older, and the drawers on the vanity or the nightstand tables were difficult to open and close. The bottom drawer on the vanity refused to stay closed, but was easily fixed by putting a folded piece of paper in the crack between the drawer and the vanity. The beds were incredibly hard, and we had hip/back pain the entire cruise. We had the opportunity to sign up for a transatlantic cruise in 2021 out of Galveston, and could not imagine trying to sleep for 18 days on these beds. RCCL: a missed opportunity. Our cabin Steward, Eric was wonderful and very friendly.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins