3. Nieuw Amsterdam
This review is about the Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam Cabin 6001 which is a handicap accessible verandah stateroom. First let me say that this was my 84th cruise so I do have some knowledge of cruises and different lines. WITHOUT QUESTION THIS IS A VERY UNFRIENDLY CABIN FOR DISABLED PERSONS. Location is terrible for any individual using a manual wheelchair as it is the very front of the ship. It fact it is the very first cabin. It would be extremely taxing to push a wheelchair down that very long hallway. Especially if it was an older person. My husband used a Pride Mobility Scooter and had a very hard time entering the cabin as the hallway is so narrow that it was difficult to turn into the room. The door was sufficiently wide enough BUT directly in front of the door was a large post. It was had to navigate around the post with the scooter. There was really no way to turn the scooter around in the room without backing up several times to turn it. There was no room in the bathroom for the scooter to turn around either. The room was an odd triangle shape and there is no way to navigate a scooter (maybe a wheelchair but doubtful) onto the balcony. I cannot comprehend how Holland America thinks this is an accessible cabin. They took some odd space and "turned it into" an accessible cabin which totally lacks functionality for a disableD person. My husband became so frustrated on more than one occasion just trying to get into the cabin We did find a lot of things we liked about the cruise but the cabin just made it so very difficult. We had the open dining and it was fine. We requested the same table each night and while the waiters were adequate, they were not the best. One night they forgot my soup, one night they forget a tablemate's salad. Small things I know but it still does impact the overall cruise. The waiters seemed distracted or overly busy. It wasn't bad enough to complain about and to be honest the world didn't end because they forgot a soup and salad. Food was good and the second Gala night was exceptional. I could not believe how wonderful the lobster was that night. We loved Dive In and the Pizza. Lido Buffet was consistently quite good and breakfast was great. Room service was fine and very prompt. The dueling pianos in Billboard did a night of 60's music that was beyond fantastic. Those two had the crowded rockin that night, it was people in their mid-70's and it was our "music" Seriously wonderful evening. BB Kings was good but not as good as the pianos. Cabin Stewards were great and everything was kept neat and tidy. The first day our cabin steward meet us in hallway and I told him I put a case of pepsi in the shower because one was leaking. He said not to worry he would take care of it and he did put it all in the mini fridge and cleaned the mess from the leaking one. Overlooking the cabin issues, it was a good cruise and we had a relaxing time.

WORST ACCESSIBLE CABIN EVER!!!

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by Lovinlife45

• Sail Date: February 2020
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

Overlooking the cabin issues, it was a good cruise and we had a relaxing time.
Lovinlife45’s Full Rating Summary