Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Arkie1966

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

This was my first time to try NCL.

Positive: The ship is beautiful and I felt very little movement. The drinks were strong and I thoroughly enjoyed trying different drinks. The entertainment was out of this world. Burn the Floor was entertaining and I really enjoyed Million Dollar Quartet. The Water Slides were so much fun. Make sure you try the drop slide. I really enjoyed the Waterfront. Get out early because it is hard to get a seat by the bars.

Now for the negative stuff.

Room: I had a mini-suite and it was not worth the extra money. Just stay with a normal balcony. The shower really doesn't make or break this room. It is very confusing to use. When you first turn on the extra jets, just be prepared to have your private parts blasted with water. It was like being hit with a fire hydrant. While we are on the subject of the bathroom, I noticed upon first entering the cabin bathroom that there were "private part hairs" on the bathroom floor and shower. I called the room steward and he did not make a good first impression. He told me that he did not see what was I talking about. I proceeding to show him. He was very rude and vacuumed the shower and bathroom, but did not re-clean it. I always bring Clorox wipes, so I cleaned it myself after he left.

Specialty dining:

Lebistro was very good. Our reservation was for 5:30 and we didn't get out of there until 8:15. The service was incredibly slow, slow, slow. Other people got their food before we did. That is entirely too long.

Ocean Blue: The food was very good. However, plan to stay awhile. The wait time for your food is also very slow. This is a small venue and I did not understand why the service was slow. I had to ask several times to get a re-fill on my drink.

La Cuncina: The pizza was excellent and the service was a little better than the other aforementioned locations.

MDR:

Taste: Breakfast: After being seated, we waited 40 minutes to get our drinks and give our order. It took another 45 minutes to receive our food and even then we didn't get what we had ordered. Staff was very rude and hateful when asked where our drinks were.

Supper: We were told on the first night that something was wrong with our credit card and we couldn't order any wine. (we had been ordering alcohol with no issues prior to this) Talk about stressful and embarrassing. We hurriedly left and didn't even get desert so we could get down to customer service to see what was wrong with our credit card. After waiting in line for 30 minutes at customer service, we were told nothing was wrong with our credit card. That was not a good start to the cruise.

Tender service: That is a nightmare. NCL uses their own lifeboats to tender in. I heard some people waited in line two hours to be tendered in. We almost missed our excursion because we were misinformed about what time to meet. It was all very confusing.

The bottom line is, more than likely, I will not sail on NCL again. I missed out on so many activities because I was having to wait in line somewhere or waiting for my food.

Arkie1966's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

The air conditioner works very well. The balcony is small. The bathroom and shower is not all that it is hyped up to be. The word "Suite" is very misleading. This is an average balcony room with a bigger bathroom.

Arkie1966