Carnival Sunrise Cruise Review

Poor service and Excursion cancelled with no notice. Entertainment was blah.

Carnival Sunrise Cruise Review by 1Erik2

• Sail Date: Feb 2020
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean

Easily the worst vacation either myself or my girlfriend had been on. For the most part we were treated pretty poorly. Room service never came the first morning with breakfast even though they called us with a question about our order then just never delivered it. We didn't get a card for the 2nd morning room service. 3rd morning after I made a complaint, we did get a card and got the room service for breakfast but when it was delivered, it was already cold. Not even lukewarm... Just plain cold. After failed with room service the first morning (and also the 2nd and 3rd and each morning after that we just gave up), we went for breakfast at the Sunshine Restaurant. One of either mine or my girlfriend's orders would be messed up. She would order, for example, French Toast and then I would order French Toast as well AFTER her. When they brought over our meals, they would bring me french toast and nothing for her. This happened with different foods each morning and by the end, just accepted whatever we got and stopped correcting the wait staff - absolutely ridiculous. This was in addition to the fact that my girlfriend was basically invisible to anybody who worked on the ship. Our stateroom steward, as ONE example, would quite literally scream my name from down the hall to say "Hi" but rarely ever even acknowledge her even though she was right next to me every time. Similarly in the Sunrise restaurant for breakfast and other places as well.

In Grand Turk, our ATV excursion got cancelled and nobody told us until after we showed up for it. Apparently we were supposed to receive a letter when we got on board saying it was cancelled and were never supposed to receive our tickets for the excursion. Well, we received the tickets and when we were told that the excursion was cancelled after we showed up for it, we were also told that all other excursions had already been booked and there was nothing they could do. That was an entire vacation day wasted because even on the ship during the day there weren't many activities going on as it was a port day. The port days and excursions are the main reason we love cruising so much.

The one and ONLY consistent and good experience we had was dinner. The food was OK, but what really made dinner was our waiter, Wijaya. He treated us very well, recommended dishes, got to know us and what we like/don't like and adjusted food and drink recommendations based on that. He was literally the best part of our cruise.

Even the entertainment was at best OK, but variety was lacking in the evening and as much as I love trivia, having a host that has absolutely no interest or knowledge in the themed trivia that they are hosting is just plain disappointing and frustrating (Harry Potter trivia and Game of Thrones trivia as two major examples). Whereas The Office trivia was hosted by two people who clearly LOVE the TV show "The Office". I'm not saying every host needs to love everything, but it would be better to cancel or not have a themed trivia when the host is very obviously not interested in what they are doing and are clearly there just because it's their job and want to move on to whatever is next.

1Erik2's Full Rating Summary

Clean and functional. Balcony was dirty and paint chips kept falling everywhere from above us.

Amber Cove (Puerto Plata)

Switched from the Zip Lining to the ATV Excursion after our Grand Turk excursion was cancelled. For most excursions at this port a 45 minute Bus ride is required to get there, which is why almost every excursion is nearly if not more than 4 hours.

ATV Tour

Was cancelled and Cruise Line never told us. We received our tickets for the excursion and were never given any indication of its cancellation until after we showed up at the assigned time.

1Erik2