Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review

Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by annette_rodrig

• Sail Date: Feb 2020
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View 8

This was a quick 2-night weekend cruise meant to re-adjust Celebrity's schedule after a "rock and romance" charter. We took advantage of the low rates offered, but it seems Celebrity adjusted their service accordingly (more on the cons in a bit).

Overall Pros: As others have stated, check in was a breeze. Passengers consisted mostly of couples and some friend groups, spanning all ages making for a lively crowd. Not too many kids onboard, but as another reviewer stated, the sailing seemed to have some of the friendliest passengers around...an overall pleasure to cruise with. In addition, service was good by some staff members, ranging from stateroom attendant to pool/bar attendants.

Cons: Take Home Message = Morale is low among employees, communication is sorely lacking as is effective management.

1. Maintenance: D grade, Unfortunately, not only is Infinity showing her age, it seems her maintenance is sorely lacking. As we sailed away in the fwd lounge, for instance, we moved a nearby chair for a fellow Soon as we moved the chair, however, one whole leg just popped off! Crazy dangerous. We saw rust just about everywhere, but most alarming were actual metal rails coming undone from their posts. One rail (at top most deck where random loungers were left to die) was actually dangling off. Sharp pieces of metal were seen sticking out from posts as well. As for room maintenance, it is what it is for a 20-year-old ship. Expect rusty water stains in shower (at least they changed out the shower head) and dated, worn furnishings. Bring your own can of lysol or wipes.

2. Food: B grade, Most of the food offered was uninspiring, almost like a bland rendition of what we've come to expect from Celebrity. It wasn't bad by any means, just okay. It almost seemed as if main dining room food was purposefully dull so patrons would spend their monies on the overly-hawked specialty restaurants. In fact, soon as we stepped onboard we were approached by no less than 4 waiters viciously hawking specialty restaurants (reminded me of the old straw market in Nassau)! In other venues, we noticed the soft serve ice cream machine was broken and out of order. We even saw napkins advertising the rock and romance cruise all over the ship. Now, I'm all for recycling and reducing waste, but c'mon folks, at least turn the napkins over to the plain side. I almost had a coronary when I thought we had joined a charter cruise!

3. Disembarkation: F grade, So unnecessarily disorganized and totally botched by Celebrity staff. There appeared to be a delay in having the ship cleared (no biggie, it happens) AND as it was a 2 night cruise, it seemed most people were waiting to walk off with luggage in tow (again, no biggie, part of what is expected on any weekend cruise). Where Celebrity lost me, however, was their lack of communication and organization. Early on, a line had formed on the outside of the promenade, maybe 20 feet long, waiting for the ship to be cleared. After a few minutes in line, however, patrons were told to go inside and join the line snaking around the rendevoux and into the casino. Okie dokie, orders were followed and we waited a good 40 minutes in the casino before the line began to crawl forward. Another 25 minutes and we were finally and happily walking off the ship, only to notice that the original line we had joined outside was actually in effect, functional, and allowing those that had just joined in the line to move through with no delay. Way to tick off hundreds of passengers who followed orders. NO ONE was directing passengers NOR ensuring that line cutters didn't skip. Overall pathetic disembarkation and left even some of the friendliest people with a bitter taste.

4. Spa: F grade. Wow, what can I say. Plenty of staff milling around, chit chatting their hearts away. No regard for customers whatsoever. After asking to use the thermal suite, I was given the grayest (used to be white) nastiest robe, a key to a locker, and directed to the bathroom. Upon walking out of the bathroom, I had no idea where to go, so naturally, I asked a crew member to point me int he direction of the thermal suite. They said they didn't really know where it was. Hmmm, that had me thinking a bit, but along came another member and upon asking, she pointed me all the way to the front of the spa area and said it'd be the furthest room. Ooooohhhh-Kay, then off I went, only to find that I had walked into a massage room (thank God no one was in there, but it certainly didn't look like a thermal suite to me). At this point, I'm a bit fuming you see, wandering around the spa area, asking and not receiving any direction. So I made the trek back to the reception area where I find all 10 spa members chit chatting some more. One of them has the grace to point me in the right direction (just behind the reception desk as it were...would've been nice if they'd told me that in the first place before sending me off the the bathroom). Once in the dark, dank, tiny, poor excuse for a thermal lounge I noticed the water jug was empty. Several spa staff walked in and out of the room, mostly to scent the area with a spray bottle...guess the diffuser was broken too? After 1/2 an hour, I kindly pointed out to one of the staff members that the iced water was in need of replenishing. Her reply went along the lines, of "ok ok, well someone will replace it later on."

5. Room 8002 is adjacent to a crew area, possibly the officers quarters. As a result the entire hallway constantly reeked of cigarette smoke. The smell permeated the air in the room as it was closest. Avoid the entire hallway if you are sensitive to smoke. They really need an air purifier!

annette_rodrig's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View 8

The room size itself was AWESOME. Imagine a balcony room enclosed by a large window. Too bad it was next to the chain-smokers club.

annette_rodrig