• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Celebrity Edge Review

Editor Rating
3 Awards

Great experience with a few glitches

Review for Celebrity Edge to the Western Caribbean
buffcurmudgeon
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Feb 2020
Cabin: Sky Suite

Overall, our cruise was great. The food and service in Luminae were consistently superior, and the shows were very enjoyable and featured very talented performers. The ship is absolutely gorgeous with lots of high tech features and entertainment options. Our butler Natalia, and room attendant Jefrey were both top notch. We were in a sky suite, so we had access to the Retreat, which was a real plus, given the crowds in some of the venues. Unfortunately, I had some issues with the Retreat bar waiter, who seemed to be unaware of what was, and what was not in the bar stock or the drink packages. For example, he told me that the ship did not carry Russian Standard Vodka, although all the online menus featured it. I finally took a photo of a bottle in another bar, which I showed to him. He then said they didn’t carry it in the Retreat bar, so I then went to the Retreat Pool Bar and took another photo of the same brand and showed it to him. He finally retrieved a bottle about 4 days into the cruise. The Concierge did not seem to be interested in my personal problems with the bar staff. There were also other bar issues which could have been solved with a printed list of available drinks, but I guess this was too difficult for management.

The other big problem we had was that the muster drill was a nightmare. Passengers assigned to lifeboats 8 and 10 were squeezed into a small open space by the high end jewelry shops, with almost no seating available, despite the senior citizen passenger demographics. (I, for one, cannot stand still in one spot for 30 minutes without having someplace to sit.) We were then subjected to an idiotic video that was neither humorous nor informative. As horrible as it was, at least as a native English speaker, I could understand the interminable and torturous video, but I’m sure most foreign passengers were lost. I don’t understand why they don’t use the comfortable theater for multiple or sequential presentations, assigned by lifeboat groups.

On a more positive note, the only optional dining we tried was the Eden restaurant. It was a unique experience that we would highly recommend. The oyster course was the most delicious thing I tasted on the cruise.

Sky Suite

Beautiful cabin, but a little creaky and noisy in moderate seas.

1 Helpful Vote