Carnival Spirit Cruise Review

Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by Juliej85

• Sail Date: Feb 2020
  • Destination: the South Pacific
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Chose this cruise because it didn’t involve going to an airport. Easy embarkation for my 77 year old mum. Driven straight to the door of the ship. However on disembarkation private cars were not allowed on the pier. Wasn’t informed there was a shuttle bus until after my mum had walked 700 metres. Good to know for future cruises.

Whatever you do, don’t miss the 88 keys show. The lead male singer is 11 out of 10.

The food was very nice with many options. Noticed on second last day at the entrance to the smorgasbord the food in the blueiguana looked very nice. A corn chip basket and you can choose your filling, prawns, chicken, salad. Heard one gent asking for 2 more scoops of prawns. No problem.

We ate many meals in dining room and the thumbs up options were delicious, especially the sugarless meringue cakes. Gazpacho (cold tomato soup) was delicious. Ordered lobster from the pay extra menu twice and 2 of the tails were very tough, perhaps over cooked or just naturally tough. Told waiter and they were replaced with good ones. Ordered 2 mains for myself one night, thinking I would get a bit of each but no I got two main meals. Very accommodating. Up in Lido I tended to order omelettes from the omelette station and pizza. Paid to have a good look around before choosing your food.

I’m not a huge drinker but enjoy a glass of wine with dinner so I ordered a nice bottle of red, which the staff cheerfully tracked down each night until I finished it on the last night.

Ship is well noted for its over the top Vegas style and showing a little wear but clean and comfy.

Port Arthur is a big walk for a 77 year old but it had golf carts cruising around to take you where you want to go, and the drivers were friendly and accommodating.

We took hop on hop off bus in Hobart when it was 27 degrees. Try and get on the newer ones as they have great commentary and air conditioning.

I allowed for a fair bit of on-board spending as I have previously cruised with Carnival, and overall we really enjoyed this cruise.

Juliej85's Full Rating Summary

Balcony

Our cabin was all you expect set up wise on a cruise ship. A few tiny issues. Gap in balcony door was annoying as every time the wind blew up there was a very loud whistling noise. A weather strip would have fixed it. The bed closest to the television was on a lean on the tv side probably from people sitting there to watch tv. Shower pipe was squirting water onto toilet. Asked for extra pillows. No problem.

Port Arthur

Took golf cart around this large estate. Interactive search for relatives didn’t appear to be working.interesting souvenirs for sale. Well manicured grounds.

Hobart

Beautiful city and gorgeous heritage listed homes which we took in from hop on hop off bus. People queue at dock for tickets but we saw many people just hand over cash on the bus. Skip the queues or book on your phone. Easy. Try and get on the newer ones so you can hear the commentary properly and they are more comfy and have air conditioning. However they do have one old original London bus which is one of four in the world.

Next Review