Carnival Horizon Cruise Review

Carnival Horizon Cruise Review by Cowgomooo

• Sail Date: Feb 2020
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Family Harbor Deluxe Ocean View

ROOM - We had Stateroom 2450 in the Family Harbor section. We traveled with 2 adults and 3 kids. We could all fit nicely in the room. While a little crowded, I was surprised at how well we managed. Two beds drop from the ceiling and the couch is turned into a twin bed. The couch takes up no more space as a bed than a couch. There is plenty of closed space and desk space for all the random crap we collected over the week. The room has 2 outlets and 2 USB ports. There are 2 more USB ports on the TV. We brought a 5 port charger and never had an issue. The half bath with a little tub was nice for our smallest one. Our Steward was great and everyone was super friendly. We LOVED the family harbor lounge a few doors down as it had snacks throughout the day and ice cream, coffee, water, and ice from 6:30a - 9:30p. The breakfast was a smaller version of what is served in the Lido buffet without the omelet station.

SHIP - The ship is nice and new and easy to get around. Once you learn the elevators (you have to push the floor button for EVERY person that wants to go to that floor) they work well except during large people moving times. We chose to use the stairs a good but during the heavy periods. The upper promenade was easy to get around and if you are in a hurry to go from bow to aft, either do it a long stateroom deck or hit the outside on deck 5. On sea days it could get super crowded. My major complaint is that people reserve chairs at 6am that they don't plan to use until much later in the day. This was frustrating. My small kids loved the water park. On sea days I had to stand many times to keep an eye on her as the adjacent chairs were either occupied by a towel or people unaffiliated with a kid in the water park.

FOOD - Decent. The Main Dining room was good. If the portions aren't enough for you order an extra. The selection was nice. The lido deck food seemed to be trying to be something no one wanted. The food was complicated. I just want a hamburger or hot dog without waiting at a station. Give my kids some chicken fingers or cheap pizza. All of those were options, but you had to stand in line at a special place to get it. I mean the Guy's Burgers, and Lido Pizza joint, and Sandwich station were really good - but the lines were 15-20 minutes on sea days. Certainly there is a hybrid from fancy to simple here. Once bright spot is the Gelato near the front of the Lido buffet - spot on!

CAMP OCEAN - All I can say is that my youngest (4) LOVED that place. I don't know if they are feeding them heroin in there or what, but she wanted to be there all the time (There or the pool or the water park). The staff was so awesome. I can't add much more than that. Oh - they have dinner at 6pm (kid food) this really makes parental dining in the MDR so much better than a wiggling 4 year old,just sayin.

We did the behind the scenes tour, it was cool and worth the $95. Make sure you go to the excursion deck as soon as you board and grab a spot. It's limited to about 30.

OVERALL - It was a good value. Don't expect gourmet food and amazing service for value price. If you manage your expectations, you will have a great trip. If you' re looking for a Viking River Cruise, you'll be pretty upset.

Cowgomooo's Full Rating Summary