3. Voyager of the Seas
My wife and I choose our cruises based on their destinations and have cruised since 1983 on many RCCL ships, as well as other cruise lines. The Radiance class are my favorite sized ships and the Serenade of the Seas is my favorite in this RCCL class. We had cruised on Explorer of the Seas a few years ago and thought that the Voyager wouldn't be any worse. I was badly mistaken. We booked this 14 day South Seas Island cruise and a back to back 6 night cruise to Tasmania a year ago. We have diamond status with RCCL so we get expedited embarkation which was excellent. When we entered the passageway on deck six heading for our stateroom, we couldn't help but notice that the carpeting was wet and the space smelled of sewerage and sewer gas. The crew worked daily to address the foul smell issue. When we got to our inside room we found that the Voyager had decreased the size of the room and took away the coffee table and reduced the closet storage. To get into bed we had to crawl from the foot because there was no room between the TV and side of the bed. IKedek was our room attendant and he was Johnny on the spot, wonderful! We had a late dinner seating on deck 5. We always request large table so we can meet people from other parts of the globe over dinner and get their perspectives on world events. My wife and I are in our early mid 70's. The first night two young Australian women Adele and Rebecca were seated with us and then on the second night Mel (Melinda) and Tim joined the group. These young people were absolutely delightful. They were all excellent ambassadors for Australia. Our head waiter was IPutu. He was great and made his part of the dining experience wonderful. The food was good but the menu is repeated and becomes very boring. On previous cruises we always enjoyed attending the enhancement lectures by very interesting people from Gerry Lynch a recently retired Assistant Director of the Royal Canadian Mountain Police, Erving a professor from Luther College in Iowa who gave excellent lectures on various pirates from the Caribbean to Europe and a former National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration director who gave interesting talks on our seas and sea life. No such luck on our last 20 days of cruising on Voyager of the Seas. No remarkable enhancement lectures on this ship. I can't comment on the entertainment because of my hearing impairment and the electronic headset that I checked out from guest services just gave me crackling feedback. The fitness center had good equipment but it was so small that people had to line up and wait a long time to access it. The hot tubs were cold on all but two or three days. Hot tubs provide a good place to meet people from around the world. Conversations in the hot tubs were mostly how disappointingly cold they were. The on board experience was miserable. The Voyager is one big noise center which is miserable. The Promenade is noisy and should be avoided unless you like to rummage through tawdry over priced sale items and listen to undifferentiated noise. I'm a US Marine combat veteran and have always enjoyed the veteran meet and greets where we get to talk to veterans from other countries, some allies and some former enemies. We had a few of these on this cruise. They scheduled these meetings at the promenade bar Pig and Whistle during the nosiest times of the day. After the Australians complained they moved it to deck 11at the High Note which was a little less loud with no seating. Being Diamond Club members we have a happy hour from 4:30 (1630) to 8:00 (2000) where we theoretically could meet and talk with other long term cruisers. Unfortunately, RCCL moved the club to a very small room as the number of members increased. There was no seating. The Voyager of the Seas Diamond Club is a horrible place. However, the bar tenders were excellent and worked diligently under adverse conditions to make up for the very poor conditions of the club. The library or what the RCCL calls a library does not have many books and this hold true throughout this cruise line. On the Voyager they combine a small library with a game room where people who are playing games are having fun making noise. That is good for game players but poor for readers. We went on five RCCL sponsored Shore Excursions. The excursion at New Caladonia was good, one of the two excursions on Fiji was very good the other was good. The Tasmanian excursion was fair as we couldn't understand the guide. The bus tour in Melbourne Australia was also good. All in all, our experience on Voyager of the Seas was very disappointing. RCCL just crowds too many people is too small of a space. Many of the couples we met in the Diamond Club stated they would not cruise on the Voyager again. For my wife and me, this is our first and last cruise on the Voyager of the Seas.

Very Disappointed in RCCL's Voyager of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by Dibochet

• Sail Date: February 2020
  • Destination: South Pacific
  • Cabin Type: Interior

IKedek was our room attendant and he was Johnny on the spot, wonderful!

Dibochet’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas price drops

Interior
Cabin 6V
The cabin was very small to previous RCCL interior cabins. Our stateroom attendant was excellent.
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins