3. Crown Princess
We chose this cruise because we enjoyed a similar Princess Cruise through the Panama Canal and area. We were disappointed in this one. The ship really shows its age--rust on the balcony, scratches on the elevator doors, worn carpets. Princess has a major problem with communication. Most of the crew speaks broken English, and it's difficult to understand directions. But the pre-cruise instructions seem inadequate. Example: We wanted a restaurant where we could dine with a set number of people each night. That turned out to be Botticelli's, but communications were so inadequate that we learned too late that this place was booked for the cruise. Also, we wanted to take advantage of an expedited exit from the ship--we received a form, but it, too, was poorly worded; we missed out on the deal. Food overall was good, though not excellent. Diners needed to pay extra for high quality. Sabbatini's proved to be very good. The lack of communications by Princess extended to the shore excursions. We booked three of them, and only two were worth it. The first, a trip from St. Thomas to St. John's, included an hour-long small boat excursion across choppy seas. The trip by train was excellent. Also, Barbados had an excellent meal included. We saw only one of the entertainment venues--my wife and I split on our revues on the Magic Show musical. I rated it contrived and trite. The room was OK, I would definitely book at least a mini-suite. Out steward scored highly in our ratings. We will not cruise with Princess again. My wife doesn't want to cruise anymore period.

Aging Princess