3. Nieuw Statendam
I booked this cruise later than I usually do, about three months out, so I didn't get any "freebies" but the price wasn't to bad for a new ship. The New Statendam is the largest, newest ship I've ever travelled on and there were lots of pros and a few cons. First of all, the ship is absolutely gorgeous, the service and food were outstanding. My cabin stewards were some of the friendliest and hardworking I've had in nine cruises. The evening music entertainment was great, something for everyone - classical, BB Kings, rock bank and dueling pianos were all wonderful. The first dance show "Humanity" was amazing with the 270 LED panels that were as much a part of the show as the dancers. The second dance show was also good, but I don't think it was good as the first show. There was a comedian that was somewhat funny, a magician that I didn't see and a BBC Earth movie (no live musical accompany). I had anytime dining for dinner and I only went to the dining room three times, food was very good and service was sometimes a bit slow. The lido was great with tons of options and great food ( the only thing I missed was a taco bar as the last two HAL ships had one at lunch). Dive In was wonderful as always I still don't love the pizza at New York (bagels in the morning were very good) Now for the cons- for some dumb reason, HAL has not renewed their contract with America's Test Kitchen - so no live cooking demos and no ATK shows on the TV. We were very lucky that Rudy Sodoman was on board and did a live cooking class in the main stage that was fantastic. Other than trivia (which was great), and overpriced Bingo there wasn't much to do during the day. HAL isn't known for constant activities, but there seems to be less and less free things to do during sea days. I was travelling solo, so I booked an inside room. The room was spotless, but tiny, mostly bed. The bathroom was also very small but the shower was awesome. It was fine for one person, but I think it would be tight for two people, although storage was good. The ship was pretty easy to get around, but the number of people meant sometimes a wait for the elevators and the lido could get pretty crowded at peak times.

Great cruise on a beautiful new ship

Nieuw Statendam Cruise Review by krisfarrarkf

• Sail Date: February 2020
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Standard Interior Stateroom
krisfarrarkf’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Statendam price drops

Standard Interior Stateroom
Cabin J
Very small, mostly bed, nice wall mount TV, lots of storage in closet. Bathroom small, but really nice shower and tiny sink. Great location and wonderful room stewards.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins