We chose this cruise to do something different. We had never been on a “luxury” cruise line and wanted to compare it to Celebrity Cruise Lines. We have been on about 30 cruises, so we have tried most of the major lines. The average age on this Riviera sailing seemed to be about 75. We couldn’t help but notice the increase in scooters, canes and walkers. I have needed all 3 of those helpers at one time but have just never seen this volume. I think the rudeness of many of the passengers was the most annoying occurrence. I am 63 but I am still courteous and definitely not entitled. Their were fewer shows and at times there was no one to be found. The casino was about the size of our living room and there were few people - sometimes one one person at a Blackjack table. The food in the dining room was excellent, the Penthouse suite was beyond comfortable and spacious but the service was lacking. We slept in daily and had room service - the cabin steward seemed annoyed at our schedule despite us giving her the morning off. The butler was annoying coming back for our tray sometimes only 30 minutes after delivery. And the “do not disturb” was on the door! The butler was very insistent on us doing the online survey. I think he wanted to do it for us. He certainly told us what to say on the form. If we gave him less than a perfect score, he let us know he would not get his point. If both of us did not fill out the online survey he would not get his “point”. Seems like a survey doomed for dishonesty. He would KNOW if we rated him imperfectly before we were off the ship by his getting a point or not. He delivered us curdled milk 3 times. Someone in that dining room has to know the milk is curdling. The room service food was cold .... pancakes, French Toast and eggs. The coffee was warm not hot. Service was sparse in the Terrace Cafe. The staff seemed rushed, drink service slow, it is not self serve and there are times there were not enough servers. My husband was scolded for touching a spoon—-his response was “ have a server there!” Since the Coronavirus was announced, ketchup, mustard and mayo for a burger was hidden away so we could not self serve. They brought them to the table in the same squirt bottles and left them. I watched as they cleaned up - the bottles were not disinfected and neither were the placemats or salt and pepper shakers that stayed on the tables. One of our highlights was watching the Super Bowl in our suite and ordering in dinner and snacks. We also had included internet, soft drinks and onboard credit we used in the Spa Another annoying thing .... this ship seemed to be far away from everything when docked. 400 yards to get to the end of a pier without any form of transportation was difficult. Nothing luxury about that. We are looking forward to being back on Celebrity this spring..... a smiling cabin steward that understands our schedule, a hot breakfast delivered and time given by the butler to enjoy it, wonderful food, comfort and service that feels extremely luxurious and among passengers that aren’t entitled-acting and loud.

First and last

Riviera Cruise Review by tldarn

• Sail Date: January 2020
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse Suite

We have been on about 30 cruises, so we have tried most of the major lines.

tldarn’s Full Rating Summary