3. Carnival Liberty
Because I'm at Disney twice a year and because I don't like to fly just to get on my cruise, I booked this as a short trip for me and my adult children between days at Disney. I have some pretty severe back issues, and had reserved a scooter on embarkation. I also advised CCL that I had a CPAP unit. The price I paid was excellent for 3 people in an Ocean Suite.We are veteran cruisers of several Mass market lines, RCCL, NCL and Carnival. My thinking has always been that Carnival puts out a decent product at a fair price, tho one needs to be mindful of school schedules, spring breaks and shorter trips as your cruisemates change! Embarkation was amazingly quick and accommodating, as we were in a suite - NOT due to scooter/disability, etc. Carnival really has their act together at Port Canaveral! I will say I was asked 3x before boarding about my CPAP machine and my need for an extension cord, tho I never even requested one! This was followed by a call from Guest Services and a visit from the Supervisor of Stewards!!LOL - And I had brought my own! The ship was clean, yes, a bit worn here and there, but always crewmembers to be seen fixing and freshening, wiping and tidying. We made our way to Happy Hour at the Casino Bar and enjoyed champagne with some new friends. I also was told I had "Drinks on Us" but only when seated in the casino, not at the bar. I would enjoy 3 strawberry daquiris over the 4 days, paper straws only included upon request. In retrospect, it may have been a mistake to book the Specialty dining at Diamond Steakhouse for the 1st night. By far, it was the best meal I had during my entire vacation, including Disney's signature dining restaurants! I had French Onion Soup, mushroom risotto, Filet Mignon and baked potato and, finally, we shared Art on a Plate. My daughter is a vegetarian and they accommodated her through every course. The service was impeccable. Some people ask on the boards about the wine offer on the 1st night. The deal was one free bottle of house choice or 50% off any other bottle. They gave us the free bottle but had to open it first and recork for us to take back to our cabin and drink later. By far, an excellent meal all the way. What a wonderful surprise! EXCEPT!!! MDR calling for the next three nights. Our tablemates were lovely, and I love conversing with new folks when I cruise. And we all pretty much approached dinner the same way, which got rather comical at times. First of all, portions are miniscule, so almost all of us ordered two appetizers and often, two entrees each. Service is rushed and servers are stressed, overwhelmed and impatient. Desserts have to be ordered with the appetizers and entrees, a practice I detest. And then, there was the food.... palatable, tasty I guess, but often cold, raw (prime rib, and I am fine with medium rare - blue, no!) or barely visible. Mashed potatoes? literally maybe 2 Tablespoons. Broccoli? 2 tiny trees. Sad. A highlight was my daughter's Indian vegetarian dish, which she enjoyed for 2 nights, one taken to go and very hot temp-wise. Go figure. Other food venues were more satisfactory. Plates were cleared quickly, servers at the buffet were very accommodating, serving, re-stocking and cleaning with a smile.Blue Iguana staff could use some burrito rolling lessons, but tasty nonetheless. I had one Guy's burger mid-afternoon - always popular and crowded and there was a break to enjoy it. No breakfast on this ship at my time of sailing. Pepsi products, however, on the menus. I'm a DP fan so I appreciated not having to carry onboard. Shows and entertainment in the theatre were enjoyable, a little cheesy but expected. Love and Marriage show is always fun. Activities seemed limited, but I enjoyed participating in several trivia games, meeting shipmates and trying to help the adorable woman running it whose English was less than stellar. My kids noted repeatedly that the crowd on this trip was older - MUCH older - than their previous cruisers so that they felt bored at times. They enjoyed movies outside, tho, as well as the late night comedy. I can't say too much about ports and excursions, as I've "been there, done that" years ago. My daughter and I roamed around Nassau a bit to shop. My son booked an excursion to Atlantis because he loves checking out new casinos, and although he could have hopped on a water taxi for $8 RT, he is mildly disabled (ASD), so we both felt more secure with the ship's "tour". He enjoyed it. Overall, better than expected. I's book more specialty dining next time, some feel strongly that it's like paying twice, but I don't think that way. At $38 a person plus tip, it was a steal in my book. Just my opinion. I regularly drop that for just an entrée at Disney and this was far superior! Don't be afraid to book this older ship. Yes, it's missing the glitz of the newer ships, but it was a fine short trip. A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work, right??

Better Than Expected!

cruisinmelo’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Liberty price drops

Ocean Suite
Cabin OS
Spacious, as cabins go, extra dressing room space was helpful, abundance of storage (easily could have packed for 10 days!).Balcony constantly sticky and damp from sea air and needing a wipe down. 2x a day service, tho we hadn't asked.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins