• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Black Watch Review

Editor Rating
21 Awards

Officers Breached Maritime Safety Law on RIB Trip?

Review for Black Watch to the Arctic
DannyYoung
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Jan 2020
Cabin: Junior Suite

My partner booked this cruise for me as a last minute Xmas present to sea the Northern Lights, we could have flown but I have a naval background.

Black Watch is a lovely ship in good condition for her age.

We had Suite 7002 directly under the Navigation Bridge which if you do not like to feel movement is the last place you wish to accomodate when crossing the North Sea (I loved it but my partner not so much).

Junior Suite

7002 is directly under the Navigation Bridge on the Promenade deck. Given it's excellent view forward the cabin could benefit from 1 way glass as otherwise those on deck can see into your cabin (our neighbour did not realise this and was spotted walking around nude in their cabin).

The cabin decor is good but beginning to look a bit tired and the bath's enamel is beginning to flake, but the bed is very comfortable.

Being directly forward this cabin is great if you love the feel of the sea but if you suffer from sea sickness or do not like excessive movement then I would not recommend it when you know you will be crossing rougher seas. Given the movement the wardrobe doors and drawers could benefit form stronger catches as they open quite continuously over Force 5

Port Reviews

Alesund

Everything was closed for the season which had not been communicated to us. You needed to do a Shore Tour to see anything :)

Trondheim

Many things were closed but a lovely port of call

Tromso

Our choice for the Northern Lights, ended up driving into Finnmark to see them which you could not do on the Shore Tour

Alta

Loved it except for the dangerous RIB tour which left shore with what I believe was a known faulty engine

Kristiansand

Probably the best port of all.

6 Helpful Votes