3. MSC Divina
Dining- Bravo! Compliments go to the Entire Black Crab serving staff. A special thank you to Agus and Vivek. They made us feel like family during the entire cruise! They would be the reason that we would come back and do another cruise on the Divina ship. Most of the time the food at the Black Crab was above average but there were some items that were less than desirable. One being the clam chowder soup. Also the cod dinner was very salty on the last night. Overall the desserts were very good. As far as the buffet, we give kudos to the pizza man! I didn’t catch his name, but he is incredible making all those delicious pizzas all day long and into the evening! We will always remember the amazing pizza we had every single day whether it was morning, afternoon, or past midnight! Other buffet items we enjoyed- the bacon, sausage and sunny side up eggs, in the morning also the Eggs Benedict and the breakfast pizza… In the afternoon we loved the salads, pastas and special items. The buffet staff was very good about cleaning up, but not quite as talkative and friendly as the evening staff at the restaurant. Bars-Our favorite bartenders were Roxan and LouieRay. A super thank you goes to them! They were fun and always helpful. Purchases- we ended up getting some skincare products from Harel down by the 6th floor coffee area. He’s a good salesman and we like our products. We also bought a Tanzanite bracelet that was beautiful in Effy. Accommodations- A little dated but clean. The bed was very comfortable and I could not wait to go to sleep at night. The bathroom was big enough and the shower was strong. We had a balcony that was good for viewing and fresh air, but I did not enjoy listening to the other guests all around us. The majority of passengers were European. Housekeeping-The cleaning staff was amazing! We felt very safe knowing they were going to be with us the whole cruise. They always left things organized and clean and they were always very polite. Spa- The spa services were also very nice, Julie was my massage therapist, I enjoyed three massages from her she is very skillful and polite. The steam rooms, saunas and quiet room were elegant and relaxing. Public Pool and Lounging Areas- It was very competitive to get chaise lounge on sea travel days or any day!! Luckily I married an energetic guy that likes to get up at 6 a.m. to put towels on two chairs. We didn’t go in the pool too much but it was nice having the salt water, the Jacuzzis were roomy. Sports Area- The ping pong was always a big hit, but with so many people on board, it was hard to get on the table. Also they need more open air in that space it was very hot up there. Entertainment- The MC was entertaining and seemed always in control of his audience. We liked The Morning Show and the detailed itinerary for every day but some of the events either changed or didn’t happen. We did do some dancing and exercise on the 14th deck stage area. The dance instructors were very nice and one of my last events I did was stretch class with one of the dance guys and that was my favorite things. I would’ve like to do more exercise on the stages in the afternoon instead of the morning. Fitness Center- We worked out in the fitness center three times. The machines were good quality but not enough of them, considering there were 4000 people on the ship. The stretching area could’ve been a little larger and cleaner. There should have been more clean mats. We sprayed them down before using anyway. I’m not sure what purpose the fitness staff was there for, but they always said hello. I signed up for yoga classes, but the first one was canceled for some type of staff training, so I decided not to do any of them after that. Excursions- our first excursion was Cartagena Columbia. We did the canoe rides and then afterwards they were dancers and some fresh coconut water. Out of the three excursions we purchased we felt this was our least favorite. There was not much to see on the canoe rides and they were very uncomfortable. By the ship’s port at Cartagena was the most fun because there were’s baby monkeys to hold and beautiful birds, and a bird exhibit that you could go through and see many birds species and more monkeys. I would have rather spent most of the day hanging out with the birds and monkeys. Our next excursion was Monkey Watch in Gatun Lake, Panama. This was more enjoyable because of the speed boats going down the Panama Canal among the giant ships also making their way. We arrived in the areas where the monkeys lived and were able to catch a few glimpses but not enough. There was too much competition from other boats to be able to take time and enjoy. The excursion staff was friendly, BUT The tour guide missed the mark completely on what we were there for! It was a MONKEY WATCH excursion. On the bus trip to the area of the monkey watch we were taught everything about the panama canal and country. There was not one piece of information given about the monkeys or any of the wild life! I can understand the panama canal is a big deal but we were there for a monkey watch. I kept asking questions hoping that that she would start conversation about wildlife and monkeys but then she would go back again and talk about the Panamanian people etc. Our third excursion was in Costa Maya, Mexico. The Chacchoben Ruins The pyramids were grand and our tour guide was GREAT! He was truly passionate about his job and a knowledgeable historian. Back at the port, we enjoyed some shopping and also a cat-walk bird exhibit. The connecting swaying bridges lead from hut to hut elevated high above the shops below. There were beautiful, unique birds feeding in each hut, and we were given a little cup with seeds to feed the birds. Between the excursion and the experience with the birds on the cat walk I would say this was my favorite place. Also the area was very clean. The last day we were at Ocean Cay. Privately owned Island by MSC cruises. It was beautiful to look at out of the ship! And it has such potential! It’s going to be gorgeous in a few years. We enjoyed the music piped in on the entire island. There were lots of activities which we did not partake in. The bars were stocked well but not everything was cold. I wish they would’ve had food options at the bars. We never ended up having anything to eat on the island because we did not want to leave the area where our chaise lounges were. The sand was hard to walk on. MSC needs to either clean the sand of the rocks, or bring in more sand to cover the rocks up. A staff member passing out the the umbrellas and floaty’s told us $14 for one umbrella, and two floaty‘s. We found 3 charges from Ocean Cay on our bill, $15, $15, and $10.99 but because it was the last day we ended up just letting it go and paying it because we wanted to get off the ship and not wait at customer service. Speaking of customer service.... Customer Service-There was a snippy woman working back there that did not seem to have the same ”we are a family” attitude as the other employees on the ship. We purchased unlimited Internet. Unlimited to us means it doesn’t run out! Unfortunately there was a trick for the use of megabytes in the Internet package… we did not read the fine print and therefore did not know we had to “start and stop” every time we used Wi-Fi. She informed me that the ”terms and conditions” are written “ALL OVER THE PLACE” regarding the ”start and stop” of the Internet package. She was not understanding that we had to pay extra. This woman was confrontational and snippy, and should NOT be working in the Customer Service area. She is not a good representation of the family spirit of MSC and the Divina. Sorry I did not catch her name. But I’m sure the other employees and cruise guests know who she is. The Casino- eyy, just OK. I was enjoying blackjack but the Pit Boss was a bit of a jerk. I realize when you have 1000 employees on a ship you’re not going to click with every one of them. There were only two blackjack tables and one roulette table. That’s where all the crowds were. I’m not sure how it works, but adding more tables of both seem like a good idea! Overall it was a fantastic cruise and we would do it again! The Divina is a beautiful ship. Although it has a passenger list of approximately 4000+ there was still a feeling of space.

DIVINA STAFF TREAT LIKE FAMILY

MSC Divina Cruise Review by JLFtennislover

• Sail Date: February 2020
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Fantastica Balcony Stateroom

Speaking of customer service....

JLFtennislover’s Full Rating Summary