3. Norwegian Escape
First of all, I want to share a little background of us: we are a family of three from Finland. Cruise culture, as we know it here, consists of fairly short crossings to Sweden or Estonia. The ships are small and the trips are short, ranging from couple of hours to two days. With this being said, it has been a lifelong dream for us, to take a decent Caribbean cruise. We had the pleasure of taking the NCL Escape from Miami with a 7-night itinerary to the Western-Caribbean. Ports of call were Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya and Cozumel. Additional excitement was added, when we learned that thanksgiving day was during our cruise. It's a holiday that is not celebrated in our part of the world, so we were keen to experience that as well. We had a balcony cabin on the 12th deck, which was very sufficient for our family. I loved the fact that I could enjoy the sunrise from my private balcony. Soak up on the light and colors of the new scenery, after all Finland is a cold and dark place in November, so this feature was very welcome to me. The cabin had enough space for our stuff and the bathroom was good sized. All in all, we got a long well the whole week and the cabin didn't feel too tight. The ship was huge. Even though it was close of being sold-out, it didn't feel crowded at all. Every day we found something new around the corner and even on the disembarking queue there were things to discover. Deck plans were logical and quite easy to follow. The variety of restaurants was overwhelming and the quality of food was excellent. Especially the main dining rooms deserve recognition: with such a large volume the quality of the dishes was spectacular. Top notch service with precision, not a single missing dish or a cold plate. Always checking that everything was fine with the boy. And as an added bonus, I had the pleasure of a real Thanksgiving dinner, with turkey and all the works. Enjoyed that very much as well. I really loved the way how the crew pays attention to children. Our 3,5 year-old son was treated very nicely everywhere and he felt very comfortable all the time. The staff is helpful and make you feel welcome. Smiling faces everywhere. Ship entertainment was something I was really looking forward to. The problem was, we had such a terrible jet-lag, our evenings were cut pretty short. We only managed to see one show (after midnight) which was really nice - a quality production. The occasional quiz-shows and concerts in the atrium were a cool addition to our after dinner strolls. We had done some research about the ports of call. We planned something to do in all of the ports except Cozumel. Snorkeling and Sloths in Roatan, Nature walk and swimming in Harvest Caye and a lazy all-inclusive beach day in Costa Maya. All of them were really nice ports and we had good luck with the weather, 10 minutes of rain in Costa Maya, otherwise it was all sunny and blue skies. My whole family definitely fell in love with cruising. As a matter of fact, our next cruise is already booked. Wonderful way to spend a family vacation, with good value for money and the joy of making the cruise for yourself. The amount of flexibility makes it very easy to change your plans with no dedicated dining times etc. Two thumbs up, will go again, would recommend to anyone.

First time family cruise in the Caribbean

Norwegian Escape Cruise Review by Oak1981

• Sail Date: November 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-ship Balcony Stateroom

Two thumbs up, will go again, would recommend to anyone.
Oak1981’s Full Rating Summary