3. Celebrity Summit
I chose Celebrity because I had taken the Millenium in Alaska 4 years ago and the experiences was over the top. I love cruising, as it's the only vacation where Mom doesn't have to lift a finger! I invited 3 of my gal relatives (and one who had never cruised before.) I guess the build up in my mind raised my expectations too high. I SO wanted my three sisters/cousins to become as enthused about cruising as I am! (Selfishly.) The new refurbish on Summit is terrific. Decor restful and tasteful (not garish Las Vegas!) We had a Veranda room and our beds were divine and we slept very well. The bathroom was super clean and outfitted with the latest bath decor. We took coffee on the veranda each morning and G&Ts each night! A small thing, but our favorite part of the day. I won't ever cruise without a veranda. We did a SPA package which allowed us to eat at Blu, which we loved and did about half the time. It also lets you use all the spa amenities, which was really nice. Only annoyance was that not one of our special spa products had a pump that worked. We had to unscrew the lids and dump out the soap, lotion, etc. Given that the Spa package is kind of a 'thing' this was odd. Odder still was that our Steward never did replace the products with pump bottles that worked even though it was obvious (because we left all the pumps sitting out.) Our Steward was wonderful but unobtrusive. We didn't do a lot of chatting with him but when we asked for something (like extra ice) we received it promptly and then each day thereafter. The only hiccup was we ordered room service hors d'oeurvres one night and they never arrived. All of the ship staff was wonderful, helpful and personable. From the cleaners to the stewards, servers and offices, not one person failed to greet me when we passed. We tipped our steward extra. The food on the ship was good, but not outstanding, and not up to what I had on the Millennium. Can't quite figure this out. Are there different 'levels' even inside Celebrity?And it was not as good as what I had on a Med cruise on the Royal Princess. We ate at Qsine one night, and again the menu and the food did not 'Wow' us. The dinner visual experience was quite cute and fun. Great also if you have children. The menu selections, creativity, and the quality were just not there. This was a disappointment, especially since I had talked up the culinary experience. If you are gluten free, however, you do have LOTS of options, so don't fret if you have special dietary needs- the folks are very accommodating. You can even pre-order in the dining room the night before to make sure your needs are met. The shows were entertaining and I liked each one very much. Just know, NOT the same caliber as on the larger ship which have more room, more budget, etc. On our trip leaving Feb 8, 2020, the sea was rough due to wind when we sailed at night. This was the first time in 5 cruises I had experienced this. I don't get seasick, but two of my companions do, so they were on Dramamine much of the time. Summit is a smaller older boat, so perhaps the stabilizer technology is better now on the bigger newer ships. If you get seasick, pick a larger newer ship. My opinion on the Caribbean in general - it's a beach and water vacation. And the beaches and water are truly gob-smacking.If you don't like those two things, there is really NOT much to see on each island. These are not destination stops. The excursions offered by Celebrity are limited - either a bus 'panoramic' tour, or boat excursions. If you opt for a snorkeling tour, the actual time snorkeling is very limited. And the top thing Celebrity urges you to do is shop. Mostly in jewelry stores! (Note, if you buy jewelry, be sure to try and research the piece you are buying via the internet before you purchase. The stores appear to mark the item up x2, and then advertise a 'sale' of 50% off (and push the duty free, tax free thing.) I found the exact same jewelry at the same price on the internet sold here in the states. Buy to have a memento, but don't assume you're getting a great 'deal.' I love snorkeling, so that's what I opted for in each port. However, I researched and opted for tours on Trip Advisor, and Viatour and ended up getting much longer snorkeling with multiple stops and locations.. Don't hesitate to use these sites; our three water tours were wonderful and our tour guides and zippy boat rides were the best part! Just know that the area's reefs have been hard hit between hurricane damage and warming waters. They are bleached and widely dead. Yes, we still saw pretty fish, coral, turtles, stingrays etc. But brilliant underwater colors are not evident and not what I remember from snorkeling in the Caymans 20 years ago. Other travelers are correct - once you get outside the port, the poverty is evident. Once must remember that what passes for middle class on some islands looks a bit tattered to us. That said, this is true when I travel almost anywhere in the world. America is truly the land of plenty. I tried to tip very well, as most operators rely on tips to make their earning, as the parent firm they work for takes a big swath of the fee you paid for the tour. In all, for me, my next cruise will be on a newer bigger boat that I assume receives the most lavish attention from Celebrity. I am trying to be a 'loyal' cruiser which means extra perks every time you cruise. On this trip I received $300 onboard credits, and then when we arrived, surprise..75 more! I shared these with my friends. On Celebrity, these can be used for just about anything - store purchases onboard, your drink package, specialty dining, your gratuities, massages or other special activities. AND, if you don't use them all, they are credited back to your credit card as cash!! So the cruise lines really reward loyalty, which, along with great offers on rooms, creates the best travel value around. So, did my three travelling companions swear to cruise again? Yes/maybe with a lot of caveats. Not because of anything that went wrong, per se, but because of personal preferences. One cousin really doesn't like crowds, and one sister gets seasick and another sister might prefer better ports of call.

A Tad Bit Disappointed