3. MSC Meraviglia
My wife and I are not first time cruisers as we have cruised with Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Holland America, and Disney. We have friends that have cruised extensively for the last ten years or so. They cruised with MSC on a different ship in Europe and were quite pleased. As a result they were ‘Voyagers’ status and given a price reduction on the Miraviglia out of Miami. Our friends invited us and in August of 2019 we all booked on-line with MSC directly. We booked ocean view cabins based on the information and photos on MSC’s web site which led us to expect an ocean view, cabin size between 160 to 236 sq ft, and a sofa. In November we were offered an opportunity to upgrade our cabin to a balcony with slightly more size and an ocean balcony. We chose to upgrade and received confirmation December 16th and our credit card was charged on that date (more than seven weeks before the departure date). At this point we all were very happy and looking forward to spending some time in the sun, eating well, and drinking well, That changed on January 31st when I received an email from MSC Cruises USA stating “due to technical and operational reasons we are unable to honor the bid upgrade”, and we had been reassigned to a ocean view cabin. The email included a telephone contact which I called immediately and found that I could not speak to anyone at that number without a travel agent pin number. I next call MSC Customer Service. After some hold time, I got connected with an agent, and told her of the email and my dissatisfaction. She assured me that MSC would get me back in a balcony cabin. After two hours on the phone with her, she finally reached a point that she said that her management had informed her that they would do nothing for me as the ship was sold out and no balcony cabins were available. As the situation was clearly and completely caused by MSC, I asked her if could offer me an on board credit or drink package to compensate. She again put me on hold to get her manager to agree. Fifteen minutes later she returned to tell me that her manager had said that their were so many people who had been reassigned due to the technical problem that MSC would do nothing about it. The agent further said that she would document our entire phone call on my booking information and that I should check with Guest Relations when I boarded the ship as they should be able to get me into a balcony cabin or offer some other compensation. Departure boarding in Miami was unorganized and not well managed. It took almost three hours to drop luggage, go through security, and get boarding passes. Before boarding we were given a small card with the number thirteen. When we then went to the boarding waiting area I showed the MSC employee there the card and asked if there was a specific area for number thirteen. He laughed and said wait anywhere, but that we would have a least an hour before they called number thirteen. I thanked him and turned to walk away; he held up a card with the number two and asked if I wanted it. I said of course and he said “it will cost you ten dollars”. I shook my head and walked away and watched him continue to try sell the low number cards. Upon boarding, we went to Guest Relations. There must have been at least a hundred people in line and only two agents trying to deal with them. The agents were unable to make any decisions or do much for the passengers. When we finally got to an agent, an officer, the Manager of Guest Relations, walked by. I asked if she could help me. I told her the details of my phone call with Customer Service and showed the email. Before I could finish, she interrupted me to tell me that she had been putting up with people complaining about that all morning. I asked her what remedy she had been providing them. To which she replied “nothing”; I said that was unacceptable and that I was a very dissatisfied customer. She then said that I had shown her the email which proved that I had been informed and the by coming on board I had indicated my approval and acceptance of the cabin change. I decided that any further discussion would not help. We went to our newly assigned cabin to find that it was nothing like we expected. It was smaller than the inside cabins, had no seating other than the bed, and the ocean view was obscured by the life boats. The rest of the HSC experience was a mixed bag. The shows were good, the excursions were good, the private island, while not finished was very nice, buffet food was very good, and first level crew were generally good. The not so good included the quality of food and service in the formal dining room. Our waiter tried to do a good job; but the food was quite bad. I think almost everyone felt the food was bad. There was not nearly enough room and seating in the bars and lounges to accommodate the large number of passengers. Almost all public areas in the ship were loud. The service charge was high as individual service charges were added to almost all items. Room service even had a charge. Drink prices were high; soft drinks were four dollars, and mixed drinks were six to thirteen dollars. I know this is a longer than normal review, but this cruise was worse than normal. I hope it will cause the reader to not book with MSC.

Worst Customer Service I Have Ever Experienced