• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Norwegian Jewel Review

Editor Rating
16 Awards

Comparison to prior cruise experience

Review for Norwegian Jewel to Australia & New Zealand
Rrb99
2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Feb 2020
Cabin: Inside

Incredible weather.   Between riding buses and a rental car for  six weeks from Cape Reinga to Wanaka in New Zealand, the only rain I had was for about an hour driving between Greymouth and Arthur's Pass.  How lucky is that ?!  I saw Queenstown on a previous visit, and highly recommend it and the bus tour to Milford Sound.   The road into the Sound is great.

It has been a few years since I took a cruise, mostly because I travel solo, and the cruise lines really stick it to us.   A cruise advertised for $400.00 pp double occupancy somehow goes to  $2300.00 when I plug a 1 into number of guests.  Yes, typically I would be quoted paying for two people, and one or two added taxes.  Plus once you buy a cruise, you get that "enticing" offer to bid for an upgrade.  Of course whatever you bid will be doubled for us solos if accepted.  This was my fourth cruise, so I have comparables.  A cruise has the appeal of:  having a private,  comfortable, ensuite cabin; waking up in a different town or island with no concern for reserving hotels or being stuck in a room due to inclement weather;  how to entertain yourself; and food.

Well, I just took the NCL Jewel from Auckland to Sydney, Feb 4-14, leaving at 1800 on the 4th, arriving at 0600 on the 14th.  It had a great price for a solo traveler.  BUT,   somehow this was considered a 12 day trip, and they tried to get you for $180.00 per person in service charges.  Plus the party leaving the cabin, and the one replacing me were  charged as well, so actually $210.00 in "tips" for that 12?   day trip, not per cabin,  but per person in that cabin that was  over three years old, so figure on  a bill for $540.00 in "tips" for a couple with one child.

Inside

It had all the basics, but was tight space wise. The bathroom had a weird layout in how the toilet was placed. Storage was ok for a solo, but I have been in inside cabins with room for an upholstered chair and/or small sofa.

Find a Norwegian Jewel Cruise from $426