Marella Dream Cruise Review

Sold down the med

Marella Dream Cruise Review by anne smith

• Sail Date: May 2010
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean

I recently returned from a cruise and stay holiday with yourselves on the New Dream Ship and had to write to tell you how disappointed I was on this ship.

The ship itself looks fantastic but the service leaves a lot to be desired. On the very first night at the pool party it was almost impossible to get a drink. Each time we asked a waiter we were told "I'll come back" it never happened and we ended up with one or two drinks which we went for ourselves and then leaving to go elsewhere which really wasn't much better as there seemed to be a shortage of staff everywhere for a ship this size.

Even at the excursions show there was standing room only and this took a bit of time and people including myself were actually sitting on the floor.

On the first day at sea the weather wasn't great so we were not looking for sun beds, but on the following day we arrived in Tunisia and went on one of the excursions, but on our return we could not get a sun bed although there were plenty lying around with towels and no one on them. We walked around and saw that there were only sun beds around the pool areas, which was hardly sufficient for a ship, that size. On the island escape which we loved there was sun beds on almost all decks so if you wanted to lie away from the noisy areas you could do that quite easily and always found a bed.

The lifts were also terrible and it was almost impossible to get one.

The next problem was the food, which we had to queue for in a straight line like in dinner school and instead of having hot and cold foods in opposite sides, which would have halved the queues and which consisted every night with fried potatoes, which were always hard.The food was also served on large gray trays which once were white, not very impressive I was more impressed with the choice and presentation of the food at the hotel the following week which way surpassed the dreams selection and was always hot with a wide variety and no queues.

On the second day our toilet was blocked up which we reported and had to do this 3 times more during the week. On the second last day I reported it at 7.15 am and it was not working until after 7 pm, nor were the toilets on our deck working so we had to go looking which was just not good enough, and the smell on our deck was appalling. My husband ventured into the toilets on that deck and almost threw up at the mess.

We then had a force 9 gales and the captain told us the ship could not go to Toulon, as it was too big to go there in those conditions. Instead he was making a hundred mile detour and going to Barcelona to avoid the worst of it. I wish he'd stayed where he was because if that was us by passing the worst I wouldn't like to have seen the worst .I and many others spent from Saturday evening after we left Sardinia and all day Sunday until the ship arrived in Barcelona in the early hours of Monday morning and I've never felt so ill in my life. I had taken my own medication with me in case of this and when that didn't work had to purchase it from you. I only moved out of my cabin to try and eat something and also because I didn't want my husband spending all his holiday in a cabin with me ill. We had bad weather on the escape too but that ship seemed to cope better and I didn't need any seasickness tablets.

I had tried to get our holiday changed from a cruise and stay to a back to back cruise for the 2 weeks but it was working out too expensive. I am so glad of this as I could not wait to get of the ship, as were most of the passengers on board and everyone who went to hotels said that was the best part of their holiday.

We were at the Son Matias and could not fault this hotel and would go back in a minute but not so the Dream. I am very disappointed with this cruise and having been on another one which is a much older ship could not believe the difference in service. On the escape you couldn't have your glass empty but the waiters were round asking if you wanted another.

The fault does not lie with the staff as they seemed to be rushed of their feet and there was certainly not enough for a ship that size.

Several times when arriving in port the gangway could not be lined up and so the decks were changed for disembarking which led to queues in corridor. Many cabins had do not disturm signs on them, but it would have been impossible not to disturb them with several hundred people on their deck all talking and complaining about the problems. We stood in a queue waiting to get off for 45 minutes and the heat was horrendous

This holiday cost us a small fortune and we had to save hard for it and I feel for theexperience we had on the ship did not warrant what we were charged. I am only sorry we did not book 2 weeks in the Son Matias as that was well worth it.

I'm sure you will be hearing lots more about this from other passengers, as there was plenty who were comparing this ship to other Thomson ships and were not impressed. I would certainly think twice about going on this ship again and would love to go back on the escape but now Thompson's and first choice have taken this over I am a bit apprehensive about that now.

I have written to Thomsons complaining about this but they have not had time yet to reply

anne smith's Full Rating Summary