• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

First Time Cruiser • Age 50s

Sail Date: Sep 2004
Cabin:
Traveled with children

This was my first cruise. My husband surprised me for my 35th birthday. It was a 9 night cruise that was supposed to be going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Labadee and the Bahamas. Because of the damage from the hurricanes, we went to Labadee, Puerto Rico, St. Martin and St. Thomas. Accompanying my husband and I was our 13 year old daughter and my 14 year old brother. My husband chose the Voyager of the Seas based on the recommendation of the travel agent. She told him that it is an active ship with lots to do. We were supposed to be at the port, Hoboken, NJ at 2:30pm. We arrived at 12:30pm. There were no lines at all and we were on the ship within 15 minutes. The ship was huge and absolutely beautiful.

ROOM- Our room, on the other hand, was clean but extremely small. I was prepared for this by research on the internet. We had an interior stateroom with 4 bunk beds. I must say, the beds were extremely comfortable. The shower was not. I am not a big person, luckily, but I could not shave and had a hard time reaching my feet in there. Oh, FYI, the toilet water is salt water. (a little info given by the cruise director..haha) They also supply a small refrigerator stocked with soda and water (NOT free), a small sofa, coffee table and TV. There is also a vanity with drawers and the lighting is the best. We had 6 huge suitcases that all fit under the bed after we unpacked. The closet was plenty big enough. The coffee table took up too much room so our stateroom attendant removed it. He was the best! We were not the neatest and he always had our room sparkling.

POOLS- The ship had 3 pools on deck 11; 2 main pools and an adult pool. There were also a number of hot tubs. There is a kids pool on deck 12. The water is salt water, which I was also prepared for. The temperature was perfect in each pool and hot tub. I was not prepared for the amount of wind the entire trip. It was constantly very windy. I did not mind as it would have been too hot without it. As for pool chairs, we always found a chair with no problem. Even though there were many people on board, we rarely felt crowded. They supplied plenty of pool chairs. There were 2 bars by the pools and bar service was given by plenty of waiters walking around.

previous reviewnext review