Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review
2,315 Reviews

Not Perfect, but had a great time

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by Cammy8

• Sail Date: Feb 2020
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Interior

Although I’m listing cons, we did have a fantastic time and I doubt any of this will be a reason not to cruise on this ship. This was our 47th cruise and we’ve loved them all. These short trips that the cruise lines are offering these days are a great way to binge on food and fun, but not for too long!

CONS

“My Time Dining”

The “My” isn’t referring to the passenger. “My” refers to R.C. We were told (and so were other guests we encountered) we could have 5:45 pm for “My Time” and that’s it. Even 6:15 pm wasn’t an option, not on the first day, or on any future day on the cruise. RC needs to expand the restaurant to other venues, or something, to allow “My time” to literally mean what it indicates.

Hygiene

The ship needs to refill the soap and the hand sterilizers. Around 50 percent of them were empty and most of the soap dispensers only gave out a tiny amount of soap that was barely visible.

The entire pool area wasn’t just wet with puddles from wet feet, the floor drains were clogged so passengers had to wade through huge pools of water.

Public toilets did clog up a couple of times.

Activities

There were plenty of water activities, however the water was icy cold so I wasn’t able to participate. The games I wanted were located in the teen area, so I couldn’t participate there either.

Staff

Not all workers are RC employees. Spa staff and even the DJs are not employees. The DJ on the private island was actually a guest. You could tell immediately since he was unnecessarily rude. Also, at Hush Night (when guests wear head sets and dance to the music of their choice) there were only 2 choices since they had only 2 DJs. Guess there’s a shortage of DJs and you take what you get.

Annoyances

The announcements telling passengers of the day’s activities (which you can read about in the daily program) are loud, frequent, and annoying, even more so since they do it all over again in a foreign language. English is bad enough.

Passengers need to line up at a one-person booth to scan out towels. If you go for lunch or participate in an activity you need to check them back in (in case they disappear) then stand in line again to get another.

The cafeteria is closed between 3:30 and 5 pm so if you want a beverage there’s only the alcoholic drinks at the bars available.

The “zoom” speed internet wasn’t nearly “zoomy” enough for me. The ilounge is not manned. Front desk called them and I waited around for an hour for an ITT person, then gave up.

The app that R.C. has didn't work for me, then again, I'm not very tech savvy.

PROS

Loved the singing guitarist and his dancing assistant at the cafeteria entrance encouraging guests to wash their hands, and there were plenty of sinks to do so. Not all soap dispensers provided soap though.

This cruise was short so we were OK with an inside cabin. We had 9329 which is right in the foyer area next to the elevator which sounds awful for noise. Not so, I highly recommend it or the same cabin on another floor. However, the wall to the cabin next door was thin and had 2 kids who woke up early. Actually they didn’t bother me so much, they’re kids after all. It was the father’s loud voice talking to them that woke me up each morning. Guess I could have done the same at 1:30 am but I had more consideration for the kids.

Cammy8's Full Rating Summary

Interior

The cabin steward could have done a better job shining up the faucets and sink, but overall he did a good job.

Miami

The port was easy to access. The traffic is always heavy, so be sure to take that into consideration.

Perfect Day at CocoCay

The sand has a lot of broken shells which hurt the sole of my foot. Best not to wear flip flops. We had a bad experience with the DJ (turns out DJs are not employees). Food on the island was pretty much burgers, dogs, chicken and tacos. Probably should have gone back to the ship to each. Overall we had a great time.

The zipline was about $70 and is very short; the water park for a half-day was about $44. My husband saw an ad for buy-one-get-one while on the ship. Might make sense to wait to purchase.

Cammy8