3. Norwegian Sun
Chose this cruise on a bit of a last minute special. We got Balcony Cabin for a great deal. I was a little skeptical due to the other reviews but don't listen to those negative cruisers. This was a fantastic cruise for my wife and I and worth every penny. The ship is bit older but still in great shape, clean, and serviceable where it counts. BE AWARE OF THIS THOUGH: It is best for adults and not first time cruisers. There is an extreme lack of outdoor kid activities versus what the big mega-ships are offering these days. There is no water slide, splash pad, etc. There did seem to be a kids club of some sort but not many children on the boat. If I were a first time cruiser I might be slightly disappointed. Embarkation: Security was very easy and fast. Just a normal Xray and walk-through metal detector. Everything was fast. We waited for the 12pm rush to die down before getting into the line and it went perfect...was on the boat in about 15 minutes. Cabin: We had Cabin 9075. It is located in far aft port side of the ship. I was skeptical but the room was PERFECT. A bit smaller inside (not much smaller) but the extended balcony more than made up for it. We had two chairs and two loungers to relax on. It was great! People reviewed that beds were uncomfortable. Couldn't disagree more...I thought the bed was very comfortable. One minor complaint is not being able to hear the announcements in the cabin. Food: We are not "foodies" but we enjoyed almost everything we had. We had dinner at Cagney's and La Cucina for the specialty restaurants. Both were spectacular. For dinner we also did Four Seasons and Seven Seas. Both were great but service was pretty slow. We had to rush the end of dinner at Four Seasons in order to make the magic show. Entertainment: Keith Bender, the comedian, was pretty funny and like-able...worth seeing. The magician was awesome. This was the best show of the cruise. We also saw the "broadway" style show called Rock You Tonight. Pretty cheesy and could have done without. The house band was terrific though. Be sure to catch their Cole Porter tribute in the Atrium. They are true musicians. Ports: Costa Maya and Cozumel. I'm always a bit frustrated with the lack of time in ports but both were nice. Did booked excursions that were not through NCL. Overall I would love to do this cruise again anytime. If you are wondering if it's worth it just now that it's very relaxing vs. many other cruises. It's a bit of an older crowd.

The SUN is still a great ship.

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by ChipCarlton

• Sail Date: February 2020
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Sailaway Balcony

If I were a first time cruiser I might be slightly disappointed.

Embarkation:

ChipCarlton’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Sailaway Balcony
Cabin BX
Awesome cabin. See my full review for further details.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Chacchoben Mayan Ruins
    Great tour. You have a walk a little bit once you get out of the port area but only maybe 5-10 minutes MAX. It's still very safe so don't worry.
    The bus lost AC before our 2nd stop at the Lagoon but they replaced the bus with a nice cold one. Not their fault and they handled it well.
    View All 383 Chacchoben Mayan Ruins Reviews