3. Koningsdam
When I look at some of these reviews I often wonder if some of these people were really on the same ship I was as there are such differing opinions on the same cruise! We were looking for a relaxing Christmas and New Year experience and this trip certainly delivered that! The ship was not decorated as much as I thought it might be...could maybe use a little more decor spread out throughout the ship, but it was still beautiful and festive! This is our second time on the Koningsdam and we love the size and layout of the ship, as well as the additional dining options available. Our stateroom was a balcony and we had plenty of storage for the three of us...our daughter was also with us. The only complaint I might have about the stateroom is that with three people in the stateroom and the sofa bed made out, the only way to go on the balcony is to climb over the bed...wish there was a little more room to get by, but this was a very minor issue. We did not eat in any of the specialty restaurants this time and had most of our dinners in the Main Dining Room and had Anytime Dining. We never had to wait longer than 15 minutes to be seated. We ate in the Lido one evening and had Pizza from the New York Deli one evening while watching a football game by the Lido Pool. All of our meals in the MDR were excellent...there were a few nights that I went out of my comfort zone and tried something new and was pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve were festive. For lunch and breakfast we ate mostly in the Lido and found a good variety of quality choices and the service excellent. We also enjoyed Dive-In and the Grand Dutch Cafe. As usual, the food and service were spot on. We do not need extensive activities to enjoy our cruise. We enjoyed High Tea a few times and played Trivia and Bingo a few times. We enjoyed the sun and relaxed with a book in several different quiet locations on the ship. We enjoyed the Dance Group's Humanity performance and the Music Walk venues. The Orange Party was very festive and it was great to see the cruise director and a few other officers joining in the fun. It was enjoyable to see the crew in a different light during the Christmas caroling on Christmas Eve. And, of course, New Year's Eve was full of music, fun and champagne around the Lido Pool...it was standing room on all levels and such a fun way to ring in 2020! We would not hesitate to book another Holiday cruise on Holland, especially on one of the new ships!

Relaxing Holiday Family Cruise

Koningsdam Cruise Review by happy2cruise2016

happy2cruise2016’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Koningsdam price drops

Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VA
Great storage, but a little tight to get around for three adults with the sofa bed made out...had to climb over bed to get to balcony with sofa made out. Bathroom was great, especially the shower.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins