3. Majestic Princess
After feedback from a work colleague my wife & I decided to splash out and go on a cruise. As we loved NZ we decided to g back there and so decided on a 14 day cruise in mid November 2019 on the Maj! IMVHO, dont cruise if you want to see NZ, you only scratch at the surface, It was a relaxing and somewhat slow cruise and you could get off at the various stops and see a bit of the country. After a reasonably efficient boarding, you get used to "Hurry up & Wait!" we entered our home for the next 2 weeks. It was everything I'd expected from the umpteen videos I had watched and we found our way to our mini suite R519 on deck 14. The mini suite had plenty of room for the 2 of us, yes the bathroom is a bit tight but I didnt plan to spend too much time there. The extra room provided a spacious area with a sofa, coffee table & desk which where much more useful. During the cruise we ate at a variety of places, breakfast was usually ordered the night before and was always delivered about 10 minutes early, no complaints. One day we tried the restuarant but it felt odd, different people eat breakfast in different order, I want a cuppa straight up, others want their eggs or cereal etc first. Just didnt feel right. Lunch was generally at the Buffet, no problems in getting a seat though there are far too many 6 seater tables and a lot of people only wanting a 2 seater. Food was OK, while there was a fantastic variety I sometimes found there were too many options, but maybe I'm strange. We also ate on shore at most Ports, NZ has some fantastic food. Dinner was ANYTIME DINING, we probably had 50% on tables of 10 and 50% on a table for 2. I think we waited about 2 minutes for seating once. Food was excellent and the service professional, In addition we had snacks at the Burger/Hot Dog stand and at the International Cafe. This was the only disappointment I have versus the advertising, great coffee but only a few options for eats, plus I felt that the service here was the worst on board. Being first timers, and planning to sit back and relax, we were a bit slow in going to any activities. We did get to see a fantastic violinist in 2 shows and an average "Crew Presentation" Our steward was almost invisible, which wasnt a problem, did his job extremely well and fitted in with our sometimes jumbled times. Shore excursions are very expensive, this being my 10th visit to NZ there was little I wanted to see. We did book a "Bay of Plenty Rich Land, Rich Culture" tour at Tauranga only to find it cancelled due to lack of interest. Pretty poor and we only got 24-36hrs notice and when I went to book an alternative they were booked out. Time to find another provider!! In Auckland we booked a wine tasting tour, we had a nice day in a corner of Auckland I hadnt seen but the Coach of some 50 peopleis far to big for a wine tasting, less than 20 is a better size. Overall, we had a great time, so much that we have just booked a second cruise for early next year.

Wonderful first cruise