3. Carnival Sunrise
This was a family cruise with ages from 18 to 83. We booked the Jamaica and Grand Cayman as it was originally planned for grandsons graduation present. To start with, we booked this cruise over a year ago, and without notice our itinerary was changed from Jamaica to Cuba. Well we did not want to go to Cuba so we had to change our dates from January to Feb, which was the first disappointment, as there were two birthdays to be celebrated in January. We had 5 cabins, two inside, two balcony and 1 ocean suite. Everyone was happy with the redecoration of the cabins. The only complaint was about the balconies. There are really small and hard to even sit on at times. Even our ocean suite balcony was small and they had a huge lounge chair on it, so we could barely walk around on it. A lounger, two chairs and a table. In the suite the TV was on the side wall and was not able to be swung out so that if you wanted to watch it while in bed , it was almost impossible. TV selections were at a minimum. Only one news channel and it was CBSN, crap. Could not turn off the closed caption, it was on all the time and covered the middle of the screen. The sound was unpredictable, it would be so loud at times and then not loud enough to even hear when you stood in front of it. The closet doors kept banging back and forth, as the ocean was a little rough on this trip. They have updated the rooms with plenty of usb ports, so it was easy to keep phones charged. Our cabin steward was great, kept room clean and always kept our ice bucket full. Loved her. The chat app, was useful for all of us to keep in touch and find each other. The paid for internet was sparse in places and you would think if you paid for internet the chat app would be free,, but it was another $5. Food int he buffet was not good. Breakfast scrambled eggs were terrible. Bacon was good. There was always a long line and it closed at odd times. The deli and Guys burgers were great. Although the last day or so the fries were so spicy they were difficult to eat. The dining room service was good, food was mostly good. Elegant night surf and turf was offered for a $20 upcharge. I ordered it, very small but delicious filet and 1/2 of an undersized lobster tail. I couldn't believe it was a half instead of a whole tail. I will say the food was very good in dining room except for the 1/2 tail. I ordered a bloody mary for breakfast one morning in the DR, it came without a straw. I understand the big deal about saving the environment, and I do recycle everything possible, but I asked for a straw and was told no, I could not have one. I made reservations at the Italian restaurant for a special occasion dinner for 10 people, plus a baby that needed a highchair. The table they put us at was unacceptable as the high chair was sitting in the middle of the aisle when I asked to be moved to another table, that was in the back of the restaurant, the hostess said no. With no explanation as to why not. After I went back to her and explained that I was a travel agent and that I was not happy with the amount of no's I was receiving on this cruise every time I asked for something and that I would be writing a review when I got home. She told me to go to the other table and she was rude, but at least we got to move to the other table and enjoyed the great food. The appetizers were served family style and I think we got some of every one they had. The entrees were very good. It was worth the $155 that it costs. The wine list could have been better, but the wine we ordered was good. If you have priority boarding or disembarkation be aware they have changed the rules and only the ones in the suite or in your cabin are allowed to use it. No one else in your party is allowed. We had a 18 year old in our group. There were really no activities for him. We knew he could not drink, but the basketball court closed at like 5pm. The pool table was unusable as the ship was rocking so much the balls kept rolling all over the place. The small pools were always crowded and could never find a seat anyway. There were no nightclubs for planned activities for him. It was a little disappointing as Carnival boasts it has so many things for kids, but only if you are 17 and under. I felt the cruise staff was very pushy always trying to get you to buy a drink, jewelry, art or spa. The ship was very crowded and everything included a line and long wait. Would I cruise on this ship again. Probably not. As a travel agent it is hard to suggest this type of cruise unless you know for sure the person knows what it is really like.

I was very disappointed with our cruise on Carnival Sunrise