3. Harmony of the Seas
This Ship is Extraordinary! I don't have the words to describe this ship other then to say it is extraordinary, exceptional and simple amazing. This was my first sailing on one of Royal Caribbean's four Oasis Class ships which are Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Harmony of the Seas and Symphony of the Seas with Harmony being now the second largest behind Symphony of the Seas. Harmony of the Seas can hold as many as 5479 passengers and 2,100 crew. I have been on over 20 different cruise ships in the last 30 years but this one is by far the best I have sailed on. And you would think that with this many people on board it would be crowded which was not the case here because of the way they have every one spread out in so call "neighborhoods". The only time we felt like we were on a ship with this many people were at breakfast, at the pool or attending one of the shows. But even then they may sure they were organized and had plenty of seats especially at the pools. I tend to choose my cruiseline and ships on the destinations I am interest in because I'm trying to check off as many place on my bucket list as possible so I try not repeating many of the favorite places I've been to such as islands in the caribbean. But since our plans to Cuba was canceled unexpectedly we had to replace it with another cruise. So I decided it's time to see what the Oasis Class ship were all about and Harmony was dock just 45 minutes away with us living in Orlando. The ship was going to places I have been before but my friend is still new to cruising so we decided this was a good time to sail with Royal Caribbean Harmony. I believe the Christmas Holiday time is one of the best because the ship is decorated with christmas decor and the tree they had in the atrium was one of the largest I have seen on a cruise ship. It makes a great place to take pictures to send to your family and friends to make them jealous and envious. lol. Just joking, ... sort of. We drove to Port Canaveral and parked with GoPort which only charge $45.00 for the week which is just the price for 2 people round trip to the ship. The only draw back is that it's about 6 miles from the docks and the shuttle they used are so small only about 6 to 8 people are packed like sardines. I have written cruising reviews before stating that my motto is if I didn’t get sea sick, food poisoning, my room was kept clean; the weather was decent most of the time (which this one was), the showers work, the toilets didn’t over flow and the ship didn’t sink, then it was a great cruise. Everything else is icing on the cake. With so many people on the ship we prepared ourselves that there were going to be time when we had to wait and to be patient. This was the case a few times at dinner when we and others were lined up and even given a time to come back in about 30 or 45 minutes. This was fine with us because there were so many places on this ship where you could kill a few minutes. And speaking of places on this ship our 7 day cruise just wasn't enough time to see everything she had to offer especially with stops on CocoCay Bahamas, Costa Mayo, Cozumel and Roatan. One of the things we love about cruising is waking up to a nice buffet breakfast in the morning before heading off to the next island and or country. We love having a nice hot egg omelet prepared just the way we like it at the omelet station. But on reading reveiws by others who have sailed this ship I was aware that they no longer did this in the Windjammer so you had to go to Johnny Rocket or to Mini Bites if your wanted a fresh omelet prepared for you. Now after being on other ships I realized why they moved the omelet station because in the main breakfast buffet restaurant most people would prefer a freshly made to order omelet to the regular pre-cooked egg and chesse omelet offered. So this usually creates a long line. But since Johnny Rocket and Mini bites were on another level and section of the ship many people didn't know so they ate whatever was offered in the Windjammer. Out of sight out of mind I guess, so it was our and a few others little secret. This is one reason I love reading others reviews and writing my own because these little tips help improve your vacation experience. Pros: I have already talked about how special this ship is. It's a beautiful ship, well taken care of and laid out. You can go to Royal Caribean web site and You Tube and see pictures and videos of the ship so I won't go into detail here because I could never do it justice. But I will say if you don't mine crowds at times and love cruising then you have to cruise one of these Osais Class ships. The staff was great all around from the person who cleaned our room to those that served us in the main dining room. These people work hard, long hours, spend months away from their families for little pay compared to many of us so we need to show them respect, thanks and be fair with the gratuities we give them. And speaking of gratuities I remember when I first started cruising the envelops we would receive in our cabin near the end of the cruise for housekeeping and the restaurant staff which was replace by just paying it up front which I now prefer. So I was surprised when on our last night our room attendent left a gratuities envelop in our room. Now as alway we paid up front when we booked the cruise so this was unexpected. But since he was great I didn't mind leaving him something extra. Embarkation and disembarkation was the smoothest I have ever seen on a cruise ship. It helps to check in online 3 months before your cruise because they now use facial recognition to get you on and off the ship much quicker. The shows they had on the ship was nice but it's best to book on line once again 3 months before the cruise or you might not make the show on the night you want or have to wait in line until those with reservations go in first. Columbus The Musical was good but kind of quirky for us but some may like it. A Journey in Time was a ice show which was a great show with lots of great skaters and had a nice story. The Fine Line Aqua Show was our favorite with high flying stunts and acrobrats in and out of the water. Just don't sit in the front rows because you will get wet. The Quest is always a delight but this one was the best I ever seen mostly because of the host who is eccentric and hilarious. This show is not for the young. The Impressionist was good and he did a funny impression of Trump. We didn't get to see any of the comedians which we usually make time to see but with dinner and so many things to do we just didn't have time. Cons: This ship has no pool in the Solarium which most ships I've been on has but I've read that Symphony of the Seas does so the RC people must have listened to the negatives review concerning this issue and put it back on their newest ship. There was a couple of shows that had to be canceled because of technical difficuties but these things happen so they were just rescheduled. We enjoyed Grease when they stayed with the original storyline but when they strayed to do something different it was awful. Also there were times that the actors use crude hand gestures for no reason so it not appropriate for kids.True Grease lovers like me felt if it's not broken don't fix it. I love to hit the gym a few times during a cruise to stay in shape and burn off some of the calories from eating so much food. And it makes it easier when there is a nice view of the water but on this ship there are not the huge windows with a nice view but smaller ones. Also, this was the first ship I've been on that didn't have a locker room in the gym with a shower. Just small lockers in the gym to keep your personals. After a few cruises I've learned that the gym was a great place to get away and take a nice shower after working out with room to reach every part of your body. At 6' 4" 210 lbs the showers in the standard cruise rooms can be to small with you continually hitting your hands, arms and legs on the wall, knobs or ceiling. And don't drop the soap because you have to open the shower door to pick it up. But at least cruise ships are getting rid of the plastic shower curtain and replacing them with the glass doors. Nothing like a shower curtain sticking to your back side while you are trying to shower. Lol. It seems like they took the shower and locker room space to place more retail area to up sale the guest. But every cruise line I've been on lately are pushing upselling more produces and service to the guest so it's just the nature of cruising today. But even these cons are over shadowed by the Beauty and Grandeur of this ship. The people at Royal Caribbean and the designers took cruise ship designing to another level, which is going to take other cruiselines years to catch up. It's like being at a mall in a small city and with the technology used I only felt the ship move once so you can easily forget you are on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean. If you have not been on a Royal Caribbean Oasis Class ship I would say you have to try it at least once. I definitely can't wait to experience the other Oasis Class ships and hope that they will be repositioned to places on my Bucket List I haven't been yet. Perfect Day at Coco Cay, Bahamas What can I say this was a Perfect Day at Coco Cay! The weather was perfect and the changes and improvement they made to the island was well worth the wait. There is plenty to do especially for the kids. We just found a nice place near the pool, bar and food and relaxed. It helps that the drink package we purchased can be used on the island. Once again the video's online give a great perfect description of the island. Costa Maya, Mexico I booked us a private excursion online with The Native Choice Tours because they were going to the Chacchoben Ruins for a great price alone with the Seven Color Lagoon with food and drinks included with the price. We were told the office was a short 4 block walk from the dock's gate but they didn't tell us that it was about 4 blocks from the ship to the gate. So we and a few other had quite a walk with taxis trying to pick us up. At least coming back they drop us off at the port gate. I'm a big history buff so when going to other countries I want to learn as much as I can about their culture, the people and history. Since I've been here before I wanted my friend to experience the Mayan Ruins. Our guide was nice and very informative but acted like a drill sergeant to keep us on schedule leaving little time to take pictures. He would try to embrass anyone who fell behind even if it was just to take pictures. Roatan, Honduras This was a very poor looking country with a lot of new contruction going on which hopefully will help their people and improve their lives. In researching what to do on the island I kept coming across great reviews of a small island called Little French Key which wasn't part of RC excursion list. So I became interested in checking it out so we paid a down payment online and booked it. It didn't start off well because when we got off the ship we had to walk through a sea of taxis drivers trying to get our business. It was a mad house. I stopped and asked a few people where do we need to go to get to our tour guide and gave my first name to a driver who asked and then he just came out and said my complete name in a crowd of people out loud who all turned their head and started laughing. I have a very unique name and I guess our tour guide told his friends there and they all were curious how I would look or if I was even a real person. Our tour guide came out of the crowd with a poorly hand written sign with my name on it and introduced himself. He led us to what I thought would be a tour bus but was a old car with the front window broken and no air conditioning. He begin driving us through the city up and down hills nowhere near the water and this is when I turned to my friend and said I guess this is when we are going to get robbed. She looked at me and said she was thinking the same thing and we both had a nervous laugh. Well he met and transfered us to a nicer car after a few miles which took us to a dock where we took a 5 minute small boat ride to Little French Key. This island was fantastic and even better then the video I saw online and well worth the adventurous ride through the city. They have nice beaches and bars with water sports and where you can even go horseback riding. It's also a wild animal refuge so they have monkeys, pumas, jaguars, parrots, rabbits, deers and even a lion. It was odd to see the worker walk freely in the cages with the big cats. For a price we could get a picture in the cage with them or take a swim in the ocean with one. This is where I passed. My only complaint was when I booked the website said they served lobster and shrimps but when I didn't see it on the menu I was told that they had a fire recently in the kitchen which is the reason they don't serve both anymore. An obvious Bait and Switch but with the beautiful view of the ocean and beaches I ordered the jerk chicken, which of course didn't taste anything like jerk chicken but was still good and along with the 2 drinks that was included in the meal. I sat there wondering why RC didn't have this place on their excursion list and how I would tell anyone that if you go Roatan to definitely visit Little French Key just don't expect lobster and shrimps on the menu. Cozumel, Mexico This was our last stop before a sea day and then back to the real world. I have been here many times and even took my friend recently so we just decided to do some shopping near the dock, they have plenty of nice stores with great bargains, and eat at Margaritaville. The food was great and there was a band as we got some specially made margarita's drinks made at our table while listening to Margaritaville and 5 O'clock Somewhere. I would definitely recommend this cruise

This Ship is Extraordinary!

Harmony of the Seas Cruise Review by SuperCruiser Man

This Ship is Extraordinary!

Pros:

Cons:

Perfect Day at Coco Cay, Bahamas

Costa Maya, Mexico

Roatan, Honduras

Cozumel, Mexico

I would definitely recommend this cruise
SuperCruiser Man’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas price drops

• Chacchoben Mayan Ruins
    Costa Maya, Mexico
    I booked us a private excursion online with The Native Choice Tours because they were going to the Chacchoben Ruins for a great price alone with the Seven Color Lagoon with food and drinks included with the price. We were told the office was a short 4 block walk from the dock's gate but they didn't tell us that it was about 4 blocks from the ship to the gate. So we and a few other had quite a walk with taxis trying to pick us up. At least coming back they drop us off at the port gate. I'm a big history buff so when going to other countries I want to learn as much as I can about their culture, the people and history. Since I've been here before I wanted my friend to experience the Mayan Ruins. Our guide was nice and very informative but acted like a drill sergeant to keep us on schedule leaving little time to take pictures. He would try to embrasses anyone who fell behind even if it was just to take pictures.
    View All 383 Chacchoben Mayan Ruins Reviews