3. Norwegian Breakaway
Sailed the Breakaway out of Cape Canaveral. It was my husband and I (48 / 54 years old, we have no kids) and our friends – another couple. We booked a large balcony M6 and our bid for an upgrade to SPA balcony was accepted. I had already booked the Thermal Spa passes, and they were refunded with no issues. (you have to call!) Our first Port was Great Stirrup Cay/ Bahamas. We skipped the private island due to rough water – our port fees and shore excursions were credited back to our on board account and I was handed cash at the end of cruise, since I pay for pretty much everything before I sail. Day 3 – Port was Ocho Rios Jamaica – we booked the Bamboo Beach VIP. The tour guides on the Beach and on the bus – worked their butts off, and made sure we wanted for nothing. Nice sunny areas/ Nice ‘sails’ hanging for those who didn’t want the sun. the bring the food to your chairs, and it’s nonstop little bits and a nice lunch. Very local. The beach isn’t as fabulous as I expected- kinda shallow, beach grassy.. etc. The sand is sugar like, which I love. Only issue I had here – NO REFLECTION on the excursion, but some non-VIPers came over and wanted to sit in the shade, literally plopped their 5 bags down for the 3 of them on the last 5 chairs in the shade. I was just heading for the shade. They were asked to leave, but being the privileged 3 that they were, they insisted on staying, at lease the staff pushed them all the way to the edge of the beach, cause my Brooklyn was coming out.. cause they were SOO rude to these folks working their butts off.. Here’s my advice. you want the VIP experience, pay for it. Hey its Norwegian, we should all storm the Haven and insist we ALL deserve to have that!! (ok RANT over) Day 4 George Town, Grand Cayman we did the White House Beach Getaway (no lunch) - Beach could be better.. rocky, shallow. (I am beginning to see a pattern here) – we spend the day at the pool with 3 other couples. They charge $10 for an umbrella, and of course the minute I paid, the clouds rolled in . LOL If not into sand or pool decks, there is a beautiful wooden deck that juts out to the ocean. Very nice to just sit and absorb the rays. Day 5 Roatan Bay Islands, Honduras- we had been here about 9 months before and this was the reason we took this cruise, we LOVE this excursion Maya Key Private Island Retreat- A short ferry ride from the pier, and you arrive at the luxurious island, teaming with rescued animals. , a lovely beach, with comfy shares, immaculate changing/rest rooms. They serve a tasty lunch, which some complained you couldn’t get seconds.. it you aren’t the 1st on line, they give you plenty (last year we skipped breakfast and were starving, this time we didn’t eat until it was almost time to shutdown the buffet line – and they piled our plates high!) There is ice tea and chilled water. The highlight of this is the feeding of the monkeys, you go in the cage with 5 monkeys and a bowl of fruit for the critters , the staff takes pictures & video with your phone – and you just need to tip. We did the monkey encounter 2x . the sand can get a little buggy. (bites on legs and ankles) – so bring the bug spray. Our fiend snorkeled and he spent the whole day there.. saying it was very good .. big drop off, lots of corals and amazing schools for fish. Day 6 : Harvest Caye, Belize – the couple we were with, rented the Cabana, it holds up to 4. (we were in separate cabins) – we did this last year also. I do not know why they cannot attach 2 cabin numbers to these bookings. She visited the medical for her bug bites and didn’t get off the ship til almost noon – we were not allowed to access the cabana. When you get there, there are 2 very nice loungers, and they then dragged over 2 standard.. we had to tip the guy to get us 2 padded ones (??) as much as they charge, and it says it holds up to 4.. it should include 4 if available, there were a lot of unbooked cabanas- so there were definitely loungers available. You can order food from Margaritaville and they will bring it to you. The staff was a little ‘sly’ – asking what I wrote for a total (it came to $94) they asked if that was $154.. Ummm no. I wouldn’t tip you $50 for service that I just experienced. Wasn’t thrilled with the service this time. Guess it’s hit or miss. Day 7 : Cost Maya Mexico – didn’t book any excursions , this is manufactured port to try to get you spend you money.. they don’t haggle, and they barely budge. They start with these crazy prices – and barely go down $5- I will avoid cruises with this port going forward. Day 8 Cozumel Mexico – booked an excursion through my travel agent (Cruises Inc) It was a Fish Spa & Beach day. This is a resort within walking distance – (although the direction on the COUPON are limited to 1 port (the directions said, if at this pier, walk to end of pier , make left, and walk 50 yard, or the other pier 150 yards. Umm we were at a port that was 7 blocks from the pier referenced in the coupon directions, and then we were late, and it had a time of 9am (so we thought we missed the bus.. but there is NO bus..We sat and waited and people would look at our coupon and call someone,, then finally 40 minutes later.. this guy comes by and says. you don’t have to wait, just go thru there to get your bracelets - this is the resort, and it includes a fish pedicure.. and use of the resort, again. Nice sand, loungers, pool, at lunch at the on site restaurant, the pico de gayo was spicier then I expected, but the make you own tacos was very tasty.. this was an Ideal Pool Day – there was a beach also, but again rocky (nd DEEP) the have hammocks set in the ocean, 2 beaches separated by a pool. (I really am fine with pools, since I NEVER venture to the Ships pool – the Breakaways is so small - Ship Days – We had been on the Breakaway 7 years ago, and I don’t recall it being so ‘cramped’ – but we were in the Haven, but had friends that weren’t so we didn’t hide away , like I would love to now. The lounges all seem small – Syd Pour House, the visiting band SWITCH would pack the house every night they performed, but it was standing room only. I felt like every portion of this ship has a ceiling over it., except the big chandelier, and that is a very small area opened up to the upper decks.

Breakaway Take 2 -

Jowenm’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Spa Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin M9
Our cabin – Standard Balcony Cabin, but came with the Thermal Spa passes (which I had purchased already - easily refund with a short phone call) . The Bathroom made the difference, Double sink, tons of storage, the walk in shower (no tub) is amazing, it has one of those shower bars, that the jets shoot at your feet, thighs, mid-section , shoulders and of course a rainfall shower head cascading over all of it. The room came equipped with a shower pouf and shower cap.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Costa Maya
    View All 2,660 Costa Maya Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Costa Maya Cruise Port Review
  • Private Resort Day Pass
    Day 8 Cozumel Mexico – booked an excursion through my travel agent (Cruises Inc) It was a Fish Spa & Beach day. This is a resort within walking distance - (although the direction on the COUPON are limited to 1 port (the directions said, if at this pier, walk to end of pier , make left, and walk 50 yard, or the other pier 150 yards. Umm we were at a port that was 7 blocks from the pier referenced in the coupon directions, and then we were late, and it had a time of 9am (so we thought we missed the bus.. but there is NO bus..We sat and waited and people would look at our coupon and call someone,, then finally 40 minutes later.. this guy comes by and says. you don't have to wait, just go thru there to get your bracelets - this is the resort, and it includes a fish pedicure.. and use of the resort, again. Nice sand, loungers, pool, at lunch at the on site restaurant, the pico de gayo was spicier then I expected, but the make you own tacos was very tasty.. this was an Ideal Pool Day - there was a beach also, but again rocky (nd DEEP) the have hammocks set in the ocean, 2 beaches separated by a pool. (I really am fine with pools, since I NEVER venture to the Ships pool – the Breakaways is so small -
    View All 199 Private Resort Day Pass Reviews
  • Grand Cayman (Georgetown)
    View All 13,920 Grand Cayman (Georgetown) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Grand Cayman (Georgetown) Cruise Port Review
  • Harvest Caye
    View All 1,295 Harvest Caye Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Harvest Caye Cruise Port Review
  • Ocho Rios
    we booked the Bamboo Beach VIP. The tour guides on the Beach and on the bus - worked their butts off, and made sure we wanted for nothing. Nice sunny areas/ Nice "sails" hanging for those who didn't want the sun. the bring the food to your chairs, and it's nonstop little bits and a nice lunch. Very local. The beach isn't as fabulous as I expected- kinda shallow, beach grassy.. etc. The sand is sugar like, which I love. Only issue I had here - NO REFLECTION on the excursion, but some non-VIPers came over and wanted to sit in the shade, literally plopped their 5 bags down for the 3 of them on the last 5 chairs in the shade. I was just heading for the shade. They were asked to leave, but being the privileged 3 that they were, they insisted on staying, at lease the staff pushed them all the way to the edge of the beach, cause my Brooklyn was coming out.. cause they were SOO rude to these folks working their butts off.. Here's my advice. you want the VIP experience, pay for it. Hey its Norwegian, we should all storm the Haven and insist we ALL deserve to have that!! (ok RANT over)
    View All 13,920 Ocho Rios Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Ocho Rios Cruise Port Review
  • Roatan
    Day 5 Roatan Bay Islands, Honduras- we had been here about 9 months before and this was the reason we took this cruise, we LOVE this excursion Maya Key Private Island Retreat- A short ferry ride from the pier, and you arrive at the luxurious island, teaming with rescued animals. , a lovely beach, with comfy shares, immaculate changing/rest rooms. They serve a tasty lunch, which some complained you couldn't get seconds.. it you aren't the 1st on line, they give you plenty (last year we skipped breakfast and were starving, this time we didn't eat until it was almost time to shutdown the buffet line - and they piled our plates high!) There is ice tea and chilled water. The highlight of this is the feeding of the monkeys, you go in the cage with 5 monkeys and a bowl of fruit for the critters , the staff takes pictures & video with your phone - and you just need to tip. We did the monkey encounter 2x . the sand can get a little buggy. (bites on legs and ankles) - so bring the bug spray. Our fiend snorkeled and he spent the whole day there.. saying it was very good .. big drop off, lots of corals and amazing schools for fish.
    View All 13,920 Roatan Cruise Port Reviews