• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Jowenm
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Jan 2020
Cabin: Spa Mini-Suite with Balcony

Sailed the Breakaway out of Cape Canaveral. It was my husband and I (48 / 54 years old, we have no kids) and our friends – another couple. We booked a large balcony M6 and our bid for an upgrade to SPA balcony was accepted. I had already booked the Thermal Spa passes, and they were refunded with no issues. (you have to call!)

Our first Port was Great Stirrup Cay/ Bahamas. We skipped the private island due to rough water – our port fees and shore excursions were credited back to our on board account and I was handed cash at the end of cruise, since I pay for pretty much everything before I sail.

Day 3 – Port was Ocho Rios Jamaica – we booked the Bamboo Beach VIP. The tour guides on the Beach and on the bus – worked their butts off, and made sure we wanted for nothing. Nice sunny areas/ Nice ‘sails’ hanging for those who didn’t want the sun. the bring the food to your chairs, and it’s nonstop little bits and a nice lunch. Very local. The beach isn’t as fabulous as I expected- kinda shallow, beach grassy.. etc. The sand is sugar like, which I love. Only issue I had here – NO REFLECTION on the excursion, but some non-VIPers came over and wanted to sit in the shade, literally plopped their 5 bags down for the 3 of them on the last 5 chairs in the shade. I was just heading for the shade. They were asked to leave, but being the privileged 3 that they were, they insisted on staying, at lease the staff pushed them all the way to the edge of the beach, cause my Brooklyn was coming out.. cause they were SOO rude to these folks working their butts off.. Here’s my advice. you want the VIP experience, pay for it. Hey its Norwegian, we should all storm the Haven and insist we ALL deserve to have that!! (ok RANT over)

Spa Mini-Suite with Balcony

Our cabin – Standard Balcony Cabin, but came with the Thermal Spa passes (which I had purchased already - easily refund with a short phone call) . The Bathroom made the difference, Double sink, tons of storage, the walk in shower (no tub) is amazing, it has one of those shower bars, that the jets shoot at your feet, thighs, mid-section , shoulders and of course a rainfall shower head cascading over all of it. The room came equipped with a shower pouf and shower cap.

Port Reviews

Port Canaveral (Orlando)

So easy to get on at this port, very organized.. nothing like Miami or NY were you sit and wait.. check in. get a pic taken, and bam.. on the ship

Great Stirrup Cay

Skipped this port due to weather, refund of port fees and booked excursion was immediate.

Harvest Caye

Day 6 : Harvest Caye, Belize – the couple we were with, rented the Cabana, it holds up to 4. (we were in separate cabins) – we did this last year also. I do not know why they cannot attach 2 cabin numbers to these bookings. She visited the medical for her bug bites and didn’t get off the ship til almost noon – we were not allowed to access the cabana. When you get there, there are 2 very nice loungers, and they then dragged over 2 standard.. we had to tip the guy to get us 2 padded ones (??) as much as they charge, and it says it holds up to 4.. it should include 4 if available, there were a lot of unbooked cabanas- so there were definitely loungers available. You can order food from Margaritaville and they will bring it to you. The staff was a little ‘sly’ – asking what I wrote for a total (it came to $94) they asked if that was $154.. Ummm no. I wouldn’t tip you $50 for service that I just experienced. Wasn’t thrilled with the service this time. Guess it’s hit or miss.

Costa Maya

Day 7 : Cost Maya Mexico – didn’t book any excursions , this is manufactured port to try to get you spend you money.. they don’t haggle, and they barely budge. They start with these crazy prices – and barely go down $5- I will avoid cruises with this port going forward.

Find a Norwegian Breakaway Cruise from $496