3. MSC Divina
This was our second cruise on the Divina. We sailed the Divina when it first launched. That cruise was in the Yacht Club. This trip was more spur of the moment, and we grabbed a balcony stateroom a few weeks from departure. There is a big big difference between the Yacht Club and the rest of the ship. Embarkation: Embarkation was fairly chaotic. There were sufficient MSC staff, but no one knew where to direct passengers and some direction was simply wrong. We ultimately found the Diamond card line on our own. Upon check-in, we noted that our key card was without status and our dining was an assigned time on your ship. We had been upgraded prior to the cruise from assigned dining to anytime dining. We called this to the attention of the the check-in person. She indicated it wasn’t in the system, and we would have to take the issue up with customer service. Customer Service: Immediately upon bordering, without priority due to the system error, I went to customer service. The young lady at customer service indicated she had no record in the system of your upgrade, and I would have to go to visit the cruise consultant on black card status. I provided her with proof of emails showing the dining upgrade and showed her my Black Card, but to no avail. This was the beginning of two recurring themes on these issues: it was the “system’s fault” and I am not empowered to rectify your problem. Long story short, it took five days to rectify these matters. This included an email to the executive offices of MSC in Miami from the ship. That office was very responsive, unlike the ship's customer service. Ultimately Diamond status was restored and we were comped two specialty dinners for our hassles. Still way too much work on a vacation for problems that could have been resolved in five minutes. Cabin: Upon booking, I noted the availability of a cabin with an extra large balcony. There are a few of these on each deck. This is a great cablin due to the balcony. It is 3X a regular balcony and has both sun and shade during the day. We spent a lot of time on the balcony. The rest of the room was fine. Typical balcony suite, but in good condition. Dining: Time for my waffle story. We went to the MDR on the second day. I ordered Belgian waffles with berries. I was served an Eggo waffle with some jelly on top. The Eggo waffle was crusty on the ends with apparent freezer burn. The next day we go to the buffet for breakfast. Beautiful Belgian waffles made fresh with fresh berries. One would think the dining experience would be the other way around, but we learned our lesson. Breakfast would only be in the buffet the rest of the ship. Due to the comped dining, we visited virtually every restaurant on the ship. From best to worst: 1. Butcher's Cut: Excellent steaks. We dined their twice and the Filet Mignon was excellent both times 2. Le Muse the Yacht Club restaurant: Food was fine and service is off the charts particularly when compared to the MDR. 3. Villa Rossa: When the ship docked in Puerto Rico for the evening, you could choose either MDR that night. We went to Villa Rossa which was the anytime dining restaurant. The food was very good, particularly when compared to the Black Crab. 4. Buffet: The buffet was o.k. Food was prepared well, but not much variety from day to day. 5. Black Crab: If you are not in the Yacht Club or don't have anytime dining this is your MDR. We dine their two nights. The first night I ordered pasta and meatballs. This being an Italian ship I was expecting a great pasta dinner. What I got looked like Spaghetti O's. The meatballs were marble size and the pasta was overcooked. The second dinner was chicken parm. The chicken was made from frozen. There was no sauce on the spaghetti or chicken, and someone slapped a cheese slice on top which I guess made it chicken parm. Shows: The shows were average. We noted the second night these were the same shows we saw eight years ago. Fitness: I went to the gym everyday. The equipment needs a bit of an update, and several machines were out of order. Public rooms: The ship is still a beautiful ship, particularly in the atrium. It has, for the most part, been well maintained. Service: In addition to our customer service story above, I would rate service throughout the ship as subpar. It appears to me there are not enough crew for the number of guests on the ship. Our room steward had a large number of rooms to service. The waiter in the MDR appeared overwhelmed with the number of tables he had to service. The customer service desk renders no customer service. Value for Money: The cruise was an excellent price which is the main reason for my three star rating. If I had paid more for this cruise, it would be two stars maximum. In view of the good deal, I took several things with a grain of salt. If you are looking for a quick getaway from Winter, and would don't mind eating at the buffet and getting little service, this is the cruise for you.

It was the Best of Waffles, it was the Worst of Waffles