3. Carnival Sunshine
Charleston was the nearest port so Carnival Sunshine was the only choice. I was on the 11th deck, Stateroom 11032. This cabin was fully exposed to outside temperature on 2 sides and partially on the third. There was no heat in the cabin and I had to get Guest Services to have an A/C Mechanic work on the system, but there as no improvement. To try to get warm, I went to bed fully clothed with a jacket on, all the bed cover, and was still cold. The room steward got an extra blanket which helped but it remained cold the entire cruise. The steward stated once there were no heating elements in the system. The electrical outlet under the counter mirror had pulled out of the wall and took two days to get it repaired. In the meantime, the cabin safe lost its memory (may have been associated with the other electrical problem) and I had to get a Carnival officer to open the safe and allow the code to be reset. The shower was designed for handicapped with steel bars for support. However, water flowed into a steel covered trough (supposedly) but the shower curtain was on the other side of the trough so all water hitting the shower curtain went into the bathroom and as the ship pitched and tossed the water covered the bathroom deck. There was never enough towels to sop up the water. It waas especially bad at night with bare feet to go to the bathroom on a freezing wet deck. Although there was a balcony, there was no time out of the 5 days I could sit on it due to the weather although I did stand there and take pictures twice. Also, due to the weather the ship had to go to Freeport rather than Half Moon Cay due to the extreme weather. Only two elevators went to the 11th deck and several times one of these was out of order. Also, there were only two decks in which I could walk all the way aft without having to change decks multiple times. I had the "eat anytime" rather than one of the two primary times and be assigned a single table which I have enjoyed previous cruises. Since I had to schedule a reservation to eat in the Sunrise Restaurant, I was invariably placed close to the serving staff's pots and pans, kitchens, and primary activity areas used to serve others. In other words, the least desirable tables in the restaurant. And, the pathway to every table I was assigned to was always difficult to get to since the entire ship has packed everything as close together as possible to maximize their profit while making the entire ship congested for customers. Although I have cruised with Carnival at least 4 times since 1980, their records are missing prior to about 2010 so I lost the advantage of previous cruises. I lost 5 pounds on the cruise (180 to 175) due to all the walking necessary making it more convenient for me to have only two meals/day most of the days. (By the way, salmon prepared in some form was on the menu each of the five days. Must have been a good buy!) I will not use Carnival again and stated so in the requested review they e-mailed me. I will mention two very positive employees - Isabel from Peru - a Head Waitress in SunRise, and Gosego in Guest Services - both are outstanding. I also compliment Carnival and the Port personnel for their aid in providing handicapped parking and wheelchair service to get handicapped customers on and off the ship. Also, the Thermal Units were available for occupants of staterooms in my area which were great - except when someone was in the area with a very bad cough!)

Cold and Packed In Carnival Sunshine