3. American Queen
What better way to explore America than on the great Mississippi River? I wanted to get a feel for travel by riverboat, and the American Queen did not disappoint! We embarked in Memphis and ended in New Orleans. The river ports along the way-- some big, some small-- were all charming and exciting in their own way. While on the boat, the staff were outstanding. The housekeepers were probably the nicest people on the whole boat. You couldn't ask for better service! The shore excursions were top notch and very well organized and executed. The hop on hop off was a great way to see each town. Many times the first bus out left at 8:30. I tried to go on this bus before the crowds came out for the more popular times of 10-10:30. The bus drivers were so friendly and had a great sense of humor! There were also premium excursions, although you had to pay extra for them. In St. Francisville, I took the one to Angola Prison. I wasn't going to go, but the tour specialist said it was one not to miss, and one that has won awards. I am incredibly glad I did go-- it was truly an inspiration experience and highly recommend! When we docked at Nottoway Plantation, I went on the "Grand Plantations" excursion that went to Oak Alley and Houmas House. If you want to witness the opulence of the antebellum south, you need to see these two plantations. Oak Alley felt rushed. Glad I saw it, but Houmas House was truly the gem! The best thing about this cruise is that the staff truly cares about you and your experience. Everyone from the housekeeping, to the waiters, to the tour specialists, and everyone in between, were beyond exceptional.

American Queen does not disappoint