3. Viking Jupiter
Ever since I studied South America in the 7th Grade, I have wanted to visit this continent, and especially Chile and Santiago. So we finally went! the Viking "Jupiter" was a beautiful, new ship, and the Planetarium on the upper deck made it especially interesting, as did the two NASA scientist/astronaut who gave enrichment talks. My husband and I spent a few days on our own prior to the cruise. We visited Rio de Janeiro and both sides of the magnificent Iguazu Falls, where we had scheduled a private pick-up and tour. That took some prior planning, but worked out very well. We also spent an extra day in Santiago at the end of the cruise, driving into the beautiful Andres Mountains with a wonderful guide. In between these two private tours, we spent many interesting days on board the "Jupiter," seeing much of Argentina and Chile. Both of these countries have been having some economic/political problems, but we did not experience any difficulties at all, and found the people there to be very friendly and welcoming. We found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful, greeting us with big smiles and positive attitudes. The meals were excellent in all the dining venues, and in fact, we thought it was some of the best food we have ever had on our numerous cruises. I even had my favorite seafood -- soft-shell crab -- twice! that had never happened before! Our cabin was very nice, with plenty of storage and the bed and room were very comfortable. When I found the provided pillow to be too firm for me, the steward quickly found me a softer one, and made sure that it was soft enough. He also got us a top sheet to put under the duvet, which was really too heavy for most of the nights. Being a nearly new ship, everything was in great condition. The excursions were mostly very good, with some excellent guides, notably in Buenos Aires (Andrea), Ushuaia (Sebastien) and Puerto Montt (Ingrid). A few of the other guides were just adequate. We know that a great guide can really make even a simple tour great. The entertainment/lectures and other activities were also very good. We especially enjoyed the musical programs put on by the Viking singers, and the Australian astronaut. We saw all of the Planetarium shows and found them very interesting. Although there were more Sea Days than we are used to, with an extra one due to missing the Falkland Islands -- the sea was too rough to land-- we made good use of the restful time. I found a number of nice ladies to play Mah Jongg and card games with, which was great. We were happy to find several Man Jongg sets available. There was also equipment for Bridge and other games available, so I doubt anyone was bored! Oh, and the Trivia Contests were very fun! We were fortunate to have good weather while rounding Cape Horn, which I have heard is not always the case. After all, we were at the Southernmost point of land before Antartica, and this area can be very rough, they say. All in all, it was a very interesting and worthwhile cruise. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to go to a different, less travelled part of the world. I really hope more tourists will consider visiting this area, especially Chile. If we would go again, I would definitely add the northern area of the Atacama Desert to the itinerary. Maybe that should be offered as a post-cruise experience.

From Buenos Aires to Santiago on Board the Viking "Jupiter"

Viking Jupiter Cruise Review by Andy200

Andy200’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Jupiter price drops

It was a very nice cabin, comfortable and in a good location, in a quiet part of the ship. One night, the sliding closet doors were squeaking (the sea was a bit rough that night), but I solved it by putting tissues in the spaces between the doors.

• City Walking Tour
    This was just the included tour, but it was one of the best tours of the entire cruise, and much better than some of the optional, costly tours. Our guide, Andrea, was excellent. She gave us much information, was very friendly and gave us insight into her personal life as well. Others also commented on how good their guides were on this included tour. We saw a lot of the city, including the Recoleta Cemetery. I was sorry to have missed the Evita Museum, but our guide told us quite a bit about her and we did see her tomb. To repeat: our guide, Andrea, was wonderful! I wish I could say the same about some of the guides in other locations!
    View All 8 City Walking Tour Reviews
  • Montevideo
    Guide was not too stimulating. I did see the Marti Gras Museum, which was my main point of interest. I should have just walked to the museum from the ship and saved the cost of the excursion, although we did also get to a large indoor marketplace, which was nice.
    View All 13,920 Montevideo Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Montevideo Cruise Port Review
  • Petrohue Falls
    This was a lovely excursion. The volcanos were amazing and our guide, Ingrid was just wonderful! She was very informative and spent the driving time making sure she spoke individually with every passenger. it couldn't have been better!
    View All 32 Petrohue Falls Reviews
  • Punta Arenas
    Just so-so. We paid extra for this tour and it was not worth it. We did se the magellan-replica ship and a few other things. The guide was not very good. Disappointing tour.
    View All 13,920 Punta Arenas Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Punta Arenas Cruise Port Review
  • Valparaiso City Tour
    I don't remember if this was all part of the same tour, but we did see both Vina Del Mar and Valparaiso. We did visit a museum about Easter Island, but the museum guide talked to one group so much, that the rest of us couldn't see all the exhibits. It was an old museum, and not all that interesting, unless you want to see things about Easter Island. I would think there would be something more interesting to see in Valparaiso.
    View All 9 Valparaiso City Tour Reviews
  • Vina del Mar
    A nice overview of both Vina Del Mar and Valparaiso. The bus took us up into the surrounding hills for interesting views of the ocean and also the buildings perched on the hillsides. Guide was O.K. -- not as good as some, and she didn't talk as much as some of the other guides. She did give us some information and was nice enough, but would have been better if she had volunteered more information without our constantly having to ask her questions.
    View All 6 Vina del Mar Reviews
  • Ushuaia (Tierra del Fuego)
    Our guide, Sebastian, was excellent. The National Park was very beautiful. An enjoyable excursion.
    View All 247 Ushuaia (Tierra del Fuego) Cruise Port Reviews