Viking Star Cruise Review
1,878 Reviews

Wonderful ship and staff.

Viking Star Cruise Review by Lawnmowerman1

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: the Mediterranean

Having sailed on the River Yangtse with Viking we looked forward to experiencing an ocean cruise with them. The high standards of their river cruise was matched on this cruise from Barcelona to London.

We have cruised on a number of other companies ocean cruises but this was head and shoulders above all. Staff were courteous and helpful without being intrusive.

The ship belied the fact that it was almost 4 years old now and all facilities including stateroom were impeccable. The stateroom was light and airy and the balcony was comfortable. However it was narrower than ideal with an intrusion on the wall facing the bed which narrowed the room by about 4 inches or so. I don't believe all rooms had this feature (a support for the deck above I suppose) and without it it may not have felt so narrow (my wife uses a walking stick). The shower room was brilliant and the best we have experienced. Generous sized shower cubicle with glass door and impressive performance from the shower, heated floor & anti-fog mirror. Excellent as were the supplied toiletries.

We choose the Silver Spirits drinks package to augment the standard drinks with meals that are included as part of the cruise. Whilst inexpensive I think we would have spent less without it as we are moderate drinkers - but it was an easy choice and one I do not regret.

Dining in all venues was a pleasure and the variety of menus suited my (simple) palate but I'm sure would also appeal to the more adventurous.

Entertainment was relaxing, enjoyable and always well performed be it stage shows or resident acts in the various locations on the ship.

The pre-cruise information on the itinerary was both impressive and comprehensive. We did not participate in any excursions owing to my wife's health but I did not hear any advert comments regarding any excursions undertaken by other guests - in fact they were all complimentary.

We had a post-cruise extension to the London Hilton, Park Lane, Mayfair and the transfer to the hotel was very good with an interesting commentary from the on-board guide. Similarly transfer to the ship in Barcelona and the private transfer to Heathrow for our flight home was very well organised.

A very successful cruise and we would be delighted to sail with Viking Ocean again - first things first though - our Viking Danube cruise at the end of March!

Lawnmowerman1's Full Rating Summary