3. Star Flyer
The cruise was nice, ship was in great condition , staff was accommodating but the management has some strange ideas about customer service. 3 major problems occurred on our recent cruise which would prevent me from cruising with Star Clippers again. First, there policy of confiscating passengers passports for the duration of the cruise is incredible in this day and age. It makes life easy for the cruise line but is a burden and risk that should not be foisted on passengers, particiularly since the first one hears about this is after the cancellation date has passed, so one is faced with the choice to cancel and lose a significant deposit or to have their passport taken away and not returned until the end of the cruise. We would have like to take a ferry from st kitts to nevis but had no documents to permit this so the cruise line holds you 'hostage' to their itinerary and excursions. Terrible customer focus! Their billing practices are also problematic and even suspect. Our initial bill was wrong: it included significant overcharges at the bar ( we are not drinkers and we were charged for 2 bottles of wine). When I asked this be corrected I was given a particularly unwelcome cross examination and when they learned they were wrong no apology was offered and they refused to re-issue a corrected bill. Again, terrible customer service. Finally, the cabin air unit was VERY loud, well over 100 decibels and made it difficult, and some nights impossible to sleep. After a week of this OI was truly sleep deprived and was happy to end the cruise. It's too bad, because the ship is beautiful, the route was excellent, the food was quite good, but some of the policies need to be re-examined with a better eye towards focusing on the passenger and not what is convenient for the cruise line. When I raised these issues with the purser, she seemed that she didn't care at all and couldn't be bothered. Again, more lack of customer focus. We will be investing our vacation dollars elsewhere in future and I suggest you be aware of these policies before making your travel choice.

Good cruise but some significant drawbacks

Star Flyer Cruise Review by brianbollwage