MSC Grandiosa Cruise Review

MSC Grandiosa Cruise Review by marinegurg

• Sail Date: Nov 2019
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Fantastica Suite

This was our second experience of MSC following a short cruise only a few days earlier on the Presiosa.

Upon embarkation we were assaulted by 'in your face' crew members on a mission to sell you 'things', sadly an introduction to the ship I wasn't expecting and certainly didn't want. Putting that aside, you can't fail to be impressed by the scale of the ship's vast interior featuring all the trimmings of this new era of super cruisers.

Like everyone else on the cruise we adopted dining as a hobby but restricted ourselves to the buffet restaurants so I am unable to offer a view on the main dining rooms. The buffet areas however, were large, well-seated and spread over a large area, but on many occasions we found that finding a table was very difficult and the servery was regularly overcrowded. The food was OK but nothing special, perhaps a little too much 'junk' food for my liking.

If you are a fan of casual dress then this ship will suit you, very casual indeed.

If you are the beneficiary of an inclusive drinks package, then good luck and take advantage of it, we were not and took advantage of the happy hour deals offered by a few bars in the early evening. But even if you are T-total you can only indulge your desire for a free juice drink at breakfast....what!!!..and no tea making in your cabin either !!! My god, I wouldn't like to be stuck on this ship in the unlikely event of being quarantined.

However, if you are rich enough drinks packages are offered but would probably only appeal to a serious alcoholic.

Verdict: Would I cruise with MSC again...NO, would my wife...maybe !... would my son...never. But thousands would, and will, and LOVE it....just not my cup of tea.

marinegurg's Full Rating Summary

Fantastica Suite

MSC Grandiosa - Cabin 9293 is at the rear of the ship on deck 9. At the time of our cruise the ship was less than 3 weeks old so everything on board was ship shape, clean and very tidy. (see photo of stern of ship...chap on balcony lower left is me)

Our cabin at the rear was pleasantly spacious, a little larger than a standard balcony cabin with a sofa bed and additional bunk bed (screened behind a curtain) which would be ideal for two children, however, not suitable for our son who is 6' 4" and had to relocate to the sofa bed after one very cramped night in the bunk bed.

The main bed was good for us and the sofa bed was fine for an individual, leaving plenty of space around the cabin once the sofa was stowed away.

There is a party door linking to the adjacent cabin, which was occupied whilst we were aboard but we never heard a sound.

However, cabin 9293 and I assume all other cabins across the stern on deck 9, are located above the Carousel Lounge which hosts the Cirque du Soleil show in the evenings which is not surprisingly accompanied by loud, booming music and is very audible in the cabin!....be aware.

Storage space was good with two wardrobes and additional drawers.

The bathroom was nicely presented with the shower in a generous full size bath and shower screen which unfortunately leaked onto the bathroom floor.

The TV was OK but not an outstanding feature and only got moderate use. no kettle available but there was a mini fridge/bar.

Balcony was fine but little used on our cruise as the weather was a little damp.

Verdict on the room/cabin, very good and would be great for family with small children....except for noise from below!!!

marinegurg