3. Norwegian Epic
I am a Platinum Member with NCL and am struggling with what is wrong with them. I hope it was just the Epic, but I am not really sure as it may be fleet wide. This was the worst cruise I have ever experienced and it all centered around services paid for were not given and NO ONE at NCL was willing to address that they dropped the ball and fix the problem. We were traveling with NCL Air a day early to San Juan to the El Caribe Hilton. Which could've been great if I experienced it from more than a few hours of sleep. Due to weather we missed our connecting flight to San Juan, which was not NCL's fault. We had to arrive 12 hours late at 1am in the morning. I called NCL Air and the "Emergency" Help Line. Well NCL did not care. The Help line is only open during business hours Monday - Friday. Reread the last sentence and think what is wrong with that policy? I did get someone from NCL on the phone who argued with me about being picked up at the airport for the hotel. She said, "No way you can get picked up at 1am" - and "we don't pick up from the airport". I know from past experience both were incorrect, but she had NO clue. Surprise when we arrived at the airport someone was there to pick up someone for NCL just not us. This was rather upsetting considering how much we had paid for this service. WARNING - They roll everything into one package price so you can't get a refund on what they do not provide to you!! (This is what I come to understand) We Ubered to the hotel and found that the Hotel knew who I was, but had no information about the pickup and transport to the ship (in a few hours at 2am in the morning). Not even that a pickup would even occur. Our info on the letter from NCL said "we would be provided this information upon arrival at the hotel". We are still waiting? We called the Emergency number and guess what - CLOSED till 8am EST - 9am where we were. I called at that time and got a gentleman on the phone who still didn't understand the problem or seem to care. He did eventually call the transportation company and said someone will be there at 10:30am. So I went and found the lady in charge of transportation and guess what I was not on the list to be transported. Seems like NCL would've already check that? I had a boarding pass with all the fees paid but someone did not put us on the list so, no one knew to pick us up. (I assume it was NCL since they will not tell me otherwise) She guaranteed that she would've been there at 2am to pick us up but we were not on the list. I got a copy of the list to verify (which did no good. So we had to still Uber to the port and tried to deal with the issue for an entire 10 day cruise. Made 5 lengthy trips to the Hotel Desk and got a different response each time. Was told - "you didn't pay for it"; "The travel agent didn't pay for it", "Your boarding pass was incorrect" and 'finally we can't do anything on the ship because it happened on land". I was given a card to email NCL when home and guess what - received a form letter letting me know how many years of great service they have provided. Well guess what for 10 days they basically made my vacation a task of trying to find out WHAT I paid about $600 for? They were terrible at customer service. Ruined the whole 11 day vacation for me. NO ONE EVER SAID. "We are sorry, we made a mistake. What can we do to make things right. This could've solved everything on the 1st phone call to the Miami Office and on every encounter for well over 10 days. Unfortunately, I do already have the same services paid from on the Getaway in Europe in June. I am actually concerned now that I will be left at the airport in Rome again and no one from NCL will care and of course no help line on European time. I am in charge of that CC Meet and Mingle certainly would expect to be treated at least fairly or it will be a very interesting Meet and Mingle for sure. Due to this issue it was the worst cruise of our lives. Spent hours waiting in line and making phone calls and NEVER found anyone from NCL that actually cares. We have two more NCL cruises already booked, but seriously are considering changing to another line that will accept our Platinum Status and treat us fairly and with respect. One last shot in June - Then I can let you know. Sorry if this was boring to anyone. But if it were to happen to you, you would probably feel differently. Thanks, for reading. Caveat Emptor We did not see San Juan this time - due to the flight delay. Though it is a great port. All the other ports were good. We loved Bonaire - so glad we went sailing and snorkeling there. We really only went on the Epic this time due to the itinerary. It was not worth the trade off. Had constant problems two years ago on the Epic and spent a lot of time at the Hotel Desk then too. We have never complained about anything on ANY OTHER ship. Embarkation was done in a way to remove our Platinum Status. We were told in writing to not come prior to 1pm or we would be on the street waiting. So, surprise they were letting 1st time cruisers on the ship at 10:30. This was done on purpose. So what do we get for Platinum???.. A chance to have the Posh Deck sold out to first time cruisers is what. The EPIC is a very dark and dismal ship. The cabins have no storage at least our aft balcony did not. Did a cabin crawl and found that the Haven Cabin and Studios were wonderful. But in the other, there is no light in the aft cabin - you will need a flashlight if you want to shave or put on makeup. I think the interior rooms have more light. The weird Bathroom configuration is not a problem to us. The bed however, is not made for anyone taller than 5'10" - You can't pull it out from the wall in this room or you can't walk in front of it to get to the bathroom. You will have to sleep sideways. There was a problem with the phones on almost the whole ship were the message light flashed for the whole cruise. Everyone was asking for it to stop. They could not stop it. So you never new if you had a message as you always had a message and the way to turn off the flashing orange light was to cover with a towel. Dining in the Specialty Restaurants is very good except on the 2nd time in Le Bistro I had to sit on a bench that was worn out - The table was just below shoulder level. I told the manager and he either did not care or does not understand English. The 1st meal was great and with great service. The rest of the specialty restaurants were all 5 stars. Love Cagney's. The Taste has really POOR actually unacceptable service. We had to ask the manager to get the waitress to take our drink order for dinner. Breakfast will take you over an hour - don't order an Omelette they will tell you it will take even longer. The breakfast staff was pleasant, but it should not take 1 hour to sit and eat eggs and toast. Did this twice same time. The food is okay if you can get it. The Great Outdoors Area is great if it doesn't rain. If it does there is a mad dash inside and you will find NO Place to sit and eat if you can even get to the buffet. So breakfast on the Epic can and will be a problem. Found that a different days there was NO coffee 2 days and 1 day No coffee cups. I don't mean they had to go get some. There was NO Coffee cups available. When the coffee was out, it was out from two machines for all of breakfast. Oshean's is a good place to eat and we found it was much less crowded. Advice let the other stand and wait at Taste - go there. We enjoyed the Magician and the Juggler onboard. The comedy we saw was really not that funny, but it was okay. Priscilla is a walk out, a waste of time. They have the Beatles, But if you want to see them in the Cavern, you will have to camp out all day like a new Iphone is being released. There is NO ROOM in the CAVERN. They do perform a couple of times on the big stage. They are okay, but not a great cover band. The musicians that we witnessed around the ship seemed to always start late and take their breaks early. So there was a lot of silence in the bars and public areas. This was really not a good experience. Our room steward was excellent. The laundry was excellent. The bartenders at the Maltings Bar were as good as any on any ship. The bartenders at the Posh seemed to be hiding in the kitchen most of the time. At times if there is inclement weather you will find that they will not open up bars below on the ship. You will just be out of luck. Disembarkation was actually very good. I would not take this cruise on the EPIC for any price ever again. I WILL NOT SAIL ON THIS DISMAL, POORLY RUN SHIP EVER AGAIN. Though the itinerary was awesome, you should at least have great service and get what you pay for! It is easy to provide customer service when everything is going well, however on this ship, when something went very wrong - NO ONE WAS WILLING TO DEAL WITH IT. Vacations are times to rest, not to try to get what you have paid for the entire vacation and even weeks after. I am extremely displeased with how we were treated. Caveat Emptor - Beware - you take this ship, but sail at your own risk as there will be little to no help if they screw up your vacation!!!

Just Finished my 2nd and Last Cruise on the EPIC - Poor Customer Service !!!!

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Saxman1961

• Sail Date: January 2020
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Aft-Facing Balcony

Disembarkation was actually very good.

Saxman1961’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Aft-Facing Balcony
Cabin B1
The cabin is dark with NO Storage. No shelves in the closet. One drawer. See above. It is not worth extra money to get a less room. The balcony itself is nice - but the room is not.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins