3. Norwegian Dawn
From the beginning, when I made the reservation, there was miscommunication. After only about a month, I could not reach the Norwegian travel agent that I had booked with. I had several questions that never were answered. I had booked two cruises within two months with Norwegian and the travel agent disappeared from the face of the earth. Very disappointed. Embarkation was speedy, although the clerks seem to be crowded and unorganized; they were certainly friendly. I had a very enjoyable cruise. 12 days is perfect. However, I was on the Dawn for seven day cruise during the same time three years ago, services and entertainment seemed to be of a much higher quality then. I had specific problems with our room steward, pool side servers, staff singers, photo staff and Venetian serving staff. Also maintenance. Room steward I believe it must have been his first cruise. He did not speak or understand English well. We tried several times. The first day he did not get to clean our room until after 7 PM Things improved after the first couple days; although I think they reduced his workload. There were days that he did not put pillowcases back on the accent pillows. Almost every day he left a coffee cup, carafe, or miscellaneous obviously dirty item in our room. Every night I turned my comforter around because the duvet opening was at the head of the bed, rather than being at the foot of the bed. Isn’t this common sense? The poolside wait staff was almost nonexistent. We were in various places poolside, and always had to wait for an extended period of time to find a waiter. They weren’t very visible at all. I tip in cash, so I would think and hope that they would pay more attention. If I was being ignored, I’m absolutely certain others were also. I would have to rate the poolside service very poor. Please add staff. The photographers do not seem to be trained in actual photography strategies. There are ways to make people look good in images and they seem to be asking people to do the exact opposite. I noticed this with my photos, and watching them take photos with other groups. I had one conversation with multiple groups in the photography area where they were just as disappointed as I was. You would raise the sales on portrait images if the images that are taken were flattering. The poolside singers sang the same seven songs throughout the whole trip. I realize that they are singing with different languages and accents than they are used to, However, they are singing the incorrect words. With standards, it is a jarring mistake when the singer does not know the lyrics. The same entertainment staff was present at the Gatsby piano bar and the grand atrium. I would think that an upgrade would behoove the ship in this area. We absolutely LOVED our Aqua server SIVA (from India) he really made dining special. We brought several groups of friends back to meet him. Prior to finding him, we felt that the aqua service was just ok. It is, however, a beautiful dining room. The Venetian wait staff was attentive, but it seemed every time we went we waited an inordinate amount of time to be greeted at the table. I would also recommend that the menus have more seafood on them. Especially for a longer cruise, people would much appreciate the variety. Menus were very much the same throughout the whole trip. I would like to see things such as shrimp, escargot, clams, or even a lobster option. We complained daily for the first several days about our air-conditioning. We had to have it on high blast to keep the room moderately cool. Even after being gone for hours on excursions, walking in, the room was warmer than the hallway. It seem to occasionally catch up, or open fully, because there were brief times we turned it down only to have to put it on high blast again within the hour. Also, we had problems with our lights coming on, staying on, and constantly flickering. Of course, we had the same problems with the safe as most of the passengers were having. Many times it flashed battery meaning that the battery was low. They said that they did not have a way to change the batteries so we were very hesitant to use a safe that we may not be able to unlock when needed. They did did send out an “Electrician” that turned out to be another room steward to investigate the lights. The next day they said the electrician had visited us, along with the HVAC technician.We had seen neither of those people. The light problem has been corrected with the air-conditioning was not right the whole cruise. We spoke to the Service desk about all these issues several times, without any real solutions, then just gave up, it was a putting a pall on my vacation and I did not want to spend my whole cruise complaining. Again, I have to say that I enjoyed the cruise. The ship was kept very clean, everyone seemed happy and they took extra precautions to prevent illness after notice of the coronavirus being active on other cruise ships. there was plenty to involve yourself in if you chose to participate in the activities. The ports stops were top notch and the main reason we chose this itinerary. I would have liked a sea day in the middle of the six stops, to rest a little, but they were all very beautiful. The Dawn is a favorite ship of mine. It’s getting a bit older, and showing her age, with some care she can regain her Grace. I hope that the problems I outlined here can be addressed. Thanks for a good vacation!

12 days on the Dawn

Charmdmsure’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Dawn price drops

Mid-Ship Oceanview Porthole Window
Cabin OF
The cabin was quite spacious and we had plenty of storage for two ladies with a full wardrobe. The bathroom sink drain was busted but it didn’t affect our enjoyment. As I said in the main review, our cabin steward was the largest disappointment. It was my first time on deck for and I really enjoyed the sound of the waves against the hull.
Deck 4 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins