3. Anthem of the Seas
Second time sailing on Anthem, first in May 2018 and then a second time in December 2018. Our first cruise was on the 9 night cruise to Bermuda + Caribbean and this time around we did a 7 night Bahamas. The primary reason we took this cruise was to escape the cold weather, and to check out Perfect Day. I’ve been eyeing it up since it opened, but didn’t want to fly to Florida for a 3/4 night cruise. So when this cruise came up at a super affordable price, I pounced. Perfect Day was an absolutely perfect day. I could of spent 3 whole days there getting to see different parts of the island. Even three months later I dream about being there. I would love if Royal could do more offerings out of NJ with Perfect Day but no Port Canaveral/Nassau. The first time I sailed on Anthem I was not an absolute fan, I thought it was very nice but lacking in some way. This time around I absolutely can’t wait to get back on the ship. All the staff are amazing, and they do try to get to know you as best as you can. Special shoutout to Melanie and Janice in Bolores were my favorite. The gentleman who work at the Starbucks are also amazing. The ship is absolutely superb when it comes to sailing out of New Jersey in the winter. The weather will be cold the first day, and can be chilly the second so having the solarium and the other indoor pool makes this ship perfect for these cruises. Other than that 270 is a wonderful mixed use space, that makes the perfect spot for reading a book, getting a drink or watching a movie. The ship has many open use spaces for guests to just relax. You don’t need to worry about showing up to events 20 minutes before they start to get a good seat. There is always room at a bar to grab a drink and listen to the band. The Royal Swedes are the best, they happen to be on Anthem both times we were. The activities on the ship are pretty good. The free app makes it super easy to see all the goings on. It can get kinda repetitive, typically they will run trivia in the afternoon but just a few different kinds. Night time was better with a wide array of music, and shows. I agree with others it’s time to change out the shows. The Gift needs to go. The balcony cabin is the best out there. Royal really does make every inch of the space count. Plenty of space to hang up/fold all your clothes, shoes, etc. We booked a guaranteed balcony and ended up getting an obstructed view (6710) but for the money we saved it was well worth it. Not too much to see. My only complaint is dinner service in the MDR wasn’t so great as the last time I sailed on Anthem (May 2018). Our server seemed extremely busy, but his assistant barely did any work. Then there was a problem with the pace of dinner. It took forever to get the appetizers. Then the entree would come right away, and then desert would take forever. Also the food quality wasn’t quite up to the standard that I expected. Slightly disappointed with that. Leaving out of Cape Liberty is the absolute best way to start/end a cruise. We arrived at the port around 10:30, and there was a short line for unloading area. Not too bad, maybe 10 minutes or so of waiting. Dropped my plus one off, parked at the garage. This is the best part, I started a stop watch on my phone from the minute I started walking down the parking garage’s stairs, to the moment I got onto the ship...15 minutes. 15 minutes to get through security, check in and walk onto the ship. We were on board before boarding was even supposed to start. I’ve sailed out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Manhattan and never once had such an easy experience. I will never sail out of Manhattan because that terminal is a mess, and the other cruise lines can’t do check in like Royal. Getting off the ship was just as easy. I think from the moment our group was called to the minute we made it through customs it took all of 10 minutes. We were back on 78 within minutes. Overall Anthem is a great ship for people of all ages. It has something to please the young, the old, and the young at heart.

Hate the ports but love Anthem and leaving out of NJ

Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review by tylerz48