3. Grandeur of the Seas
We've previously cruised on Carnival, Princess and Celebrity. Our last two Celebrity cruises spoiled us for any other line, I am afraid to say. We took this cruise because we live 1.5 hours away from Baltimore, my boyfriend hates to fly (I love flying) and it stopped in Charleston where my son is stationed in the military. We were the cruise after a norovirus breakout and embarkation was a nightmare. We got to the port later (1pm) thinking that the rush was over and between the traffic in the parking lot and the line in the port, didn't get onboard until 3:15pm. By then the muster drill had started so we were not allowed to go to our rooms to drop off our bags. Yes we sent our big suitcases with the luggage cart but we had our wine/cooler/medical equipment/medication/emergency stuff on us and we had to drag it to the muster station after dragging in through the lines for two hours. So the drill is over and I am desperate for some lunch (diabetic) and the Windjammer is closed. So we go to the Park Cafe. WELCOME TO THUNDERDOME. The line was 50+ people long, people cutting in line, they're running out of food, no plates, no silverware, no place to sit, I'm walking around and carrying around a cheeseburger IN MY HANDS. I guess that RC did not care we boarded late even though it was not our faults in the least. Then I want to fill my water thermos so I go to the Windjammer after it opens for dinner. I was filling my water bottle with ice and water, using a cup (not holding my bottle under the spout) and I was screamed at by two different head waiters in suits. Literally screamed at me. Even though I was using a separate cup. No, the staff has to fill the cups for you and then you can use them to fill your bottles. So if it takes 4 glasses to fill your bottle, take 4 glasses. Whatever. I should have just brought along bottled water. So much for trying to cut down on plastic waste. I found out later that there is a water station outside the Windjammer that is not staffed by screaming meemies where I could get water 24/7. But it tastes like rust. Disgusting. Park Cafe water was slightly better but still had a hint of metal taste. Might as well drink your cabin water. Yes, the ship is old. Yes, it smells like sewage in some places. It was pretty clean though. We had an inside cabin - yes they are TINY when you're used to a Celebrity balcony, but we made it work. Our Steward kept our ice chest full of ice at all times. I do like RC's Procedure of using a door magnet to indicate to your Steward if you are in your room or not in your room. I hope Celebrity picks up this procedure. I don’t need to interact with my Steward everyday so we stayed out of his way. Ok, food. Windjammer at breakfast, welcome back to Thunderdome. I would search for an open table for over a half hour each morning while my boyfriend was at the gym. Got me some steps on my fitbit though. Once I would find my table for two, I’d put my coffee/book and thermos on the table to claim it and go get my food. Would you believe people did not care one bit and would sit down at the table with my coffee/book and my thermos like they owned the place? And then act SHOCKED when I asked them to move?? SUPER FRUSTRATING. There is a clientele on this ship that think they own it and all of the crew as well. Anyway, back to the food, the Windjammer was the same every morning but I finally got down to a routine of what I liked each morning so that was good. It was tasty. We did one lunch in the MDR, not impressed. And now they set up a buffet in the MDR, say what? Confusing. Soon everything is going to be a buffet! We did dinner every night in the MDR. We requested a table for two and ended up in a table for 10. Frustrating because my boyfriend eats slow and I’d rather not hold up everyone else. The food and service was hit or miss. I thought most of my beef dishes were ok. My boyfriend was disappointed most nights that he had fish. There was a table next to us that was SUPER demanding of the wait staff, maître d AND the chef so they really had no time for our table because they were always rushing around to accommodate them and their demands. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, and all that. The head waiter and our waiter were both super pushy trying to sell specialty restaurant deals. Uncomfortable. Speaking of specialty restaurants, I took a sushi rolling class at Izumi. It was so great! One of the highlights of the trip. We had lunch there the last sea day and it was expensive but VERY GOOD. I’m not a real fan of cruise entertainment, I just want to read, drink Pina Coladas and maybe see a comedy show. There are rabid fans of this ship that are also rabid fans of the house band, The Rockport Band. Oh my god, they are horrible. So bad, watching them is like a comedy show in itself. The two different comedians were ok – we only went to the adult shows. We stayed for most of the Beatles show, it was kind of hokey and they were off key. Cruise director Clo has a super shrill voice and I found her annoying. Activities director Cian would probably make a good cruise director someday, he was entertaining during the Belly Flop contest. Not going to talk much about the weather (you’re leaving from Baltimore in January, what do you expect?) but the stabilizers on this ship are not equipped to handle the Atlantic in the winter (or don’t exist at all, who knows with a ship this old). We don’t get seasick but many around us did. Our dresser drawers would open and close all night long and we were almost flung out of bed twice. It became funny after awhile. Not going to talk much about the excursions since we’ve been to all of the ports before except Coco Cay. I would say the lunch offerings on Coco Cay were much tastier than the Windjammer. It was cool and overcast/showers but again, it’s January, we expected this. I still went swimming in the lagoon.

Not Impressed