• Find a Cruise

Celebrity Edge Cruise Review by sarvin4

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: undefined

I didn’t expect to like the Edge. My husband and I have been on 26 cruises, several with Celebrity. The reviews for this ship were very mixed, and I was quite skeptical. It turns out that I was pleasantly surprised.

Before you go, make sure to download the Celebrity app. You can get a lot of information there, everything from deck plans to menus to daily activities. You can even make dinner reservations. Make sure to do your check-in with the app, as this will make your boarding seamless. You’ll find that the wifi on the Edge is actually pretty good.

Embarkation was a breeze. We arrived at the terminal at about 10:30 and were quickly through security. Check in by an employee with an iPad made the process fast, and we were seated for about 15 minutes until boarding began at 11:00. By 11:30 we’d dropped our bags at our room, retrieved our key cards and were enjoying a cocktail at the Sunset Bar.

The Edge is kept meticulously clean. We did have one issue, where an area we spent a lot of time at outside of Eden, was not being kept up. On our first day on board, glasses and cups were left to accumulate and it seemed no one was cleaning the area. We made a trip to guest relations about the situation and at 5:30 the next morning I saw the area being scrubbed clean and there was someone stationed there to keep the area clean the rest of our cruise. I want to make a point here: If you have an issue, let someone know! I see reviewers get on here and complain without ever having addressed the issue when they were on board. We were thanked for bringing the issue to their attention and once they took action, we made sure to go back down to guest relations and thank them for dealing with it.

We have always found Celebrity’s crew and service to be the best and this cruise was no exception. We were greeted by crew constantly and all interactions were good-natured and polite. Captain Kate was seen constantly throughout the ship. We went to her Captain’s talk and this should not be missed. It was very interesting and her sense of humor was a delight.

Several reviewers remarked about the layout of the ship. It is different, that’s for sure. I am used to straight hallways while navigating decks on other ships and on Edge there are twists and turns. At the front of the ship is “The Retreat”. This is where the suites are located. We met a travel agent on board who was staying there and gave us tour of the area which is only accessed by the inhabitant’s key card. It was quite exclusive. The service there is impressive and the common areas there are lovely.

The smoking areas on the Edge, for those of you who either want to use or avoid them, are at the Sunset Bar aft, above the Mast Grille midship and beside the Eden aft.

There is an older demographic aboard the Edge and we fit into that category, for sure. It appears to me that Celebrity is trying to market the Edge to a younger crowd. There are several things about the ship that are, well - Edge-y. There were quite a few complaints from people in my demographic. The Eden is one of the unusual places to go. Without getting into it, you’re either going to like it or you won’t, but I’d suggest an open mind. Eden is beautiful, but the shows are definitely different there. The beauty of being aboard a cruise ship is that you can always go somewhere else. I am not a show-goer, but my husband took in several and enjoyed almost all of them, in fact, people around me seemed to enjoy the entertainment on the ship. I enjoyed the talk about “waves” and another on “whales”. The enrichment talks are always enjoyable to me and I’m glad Celebrity still does them.

Shopping on the Edge was not in the cards for me. With shops like Cartier, Bulgari and Tiffany, that’s a bit out of my budget. There is still a shop where you can buy toiletries, souvenirs, cigarettes and liquor, but be warned the souvenirs are on the pricey side.

Dining was an interesting experience and I have to say that I was not a fan of their 4 restaurant venue. They seemed small and a bit claustrophobic. We had fixed dining at 8:30 at the Normandy. All restaurants have the same menu except for some specialties geared towards the theme of the restaurant. Ours was French. You can - and we did - ask for menus from the other restaurants one night and you can order from them. Select time diners can choose which restaurant they want to go to, but I heard that the wait time could be up to 30 minutes during prime times. Our food was always delicious and served hot. Our waiter and assistant waiter were quite good, but our sommelier was lacking. She finally gave us better service toward the end of the cruise. We ate our lunch in the buffet. The food and the service was excellent! We were always able to find a table. It’s easy to miss the pizza which is aft from the buffet, but don’t! It’s very good!

There is a lot of commentary about the Infinite Veranda. If you are expecting a balcony, you may be disappointed. Generally, I found that to be the sentiment of other cruisers on board. I would describe the Infinite Veranda as an extension of your room with a window at the end. The window does open down half-way. It slowly opens electronically and is quite loud. It’s more enclosed than a balcony and I thought, had a cave-like feel to it. You don’t get the breeze and don’t have quite the view. Our cabin was beautiful and spacious. Storing clothes for longer than a 7-day cruise might be an issue, as the closet is small. There is a strange not-very-useful cubby hole system beside the closet. There are plenty of outlets in the cabin, and I loved the dock for electronics. The spacious bathroom rates as the “best ever”.

Debarkation was the fastest we’ve ever experienced. Gone are the days of lining up for customs. With passports in hand, facial recognition on the iPads let you breeze right through. No questions about what you are bringing in like the old days. I was impressed that Captain Kate was there upon debarkation to thank each passenger for cruising.

So, yes, even though I heard some other passengers say to the contrary, we would cruise the Edge again.

sarvin4's Full Rating Summary