Grand Princess Cruise Review
1,613 Reviews

Fantastic staff, great food, interesting ports

Grand Princess Cruise Review by waylyn

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: the Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

I had sailed on with Princess before and loved it so I chose Grand Princess for the 10 day Mexican Riviera cruise from Jan 12 to 22.

The ship is aging but they are always working on keeping her looking 'Grand' There are new carpets and flat screen tv and the medallion system is almost ready to go.

The entire staff works hard and is always friendly and willing to help. Lots oif activities during the day. The captain was very impressive. He participated in some of the entertainment and was visible throughout the cruise.

I want to make special mention of an incident on the last day when there was a medical evacuation needed. The captain kept us informed right from the start of what was happening and what was going to happen and how we could help by staying inside our staterooms and decks. Unfortunately a few people didn't listen and made the coast guard helicopter take a little longer than to airlift the patient. I thought it was very well handled by the crew and I for one appreciated being kept up to date. Good job.

I loved the service and the food in the Michelangelo dining room - big shout out to Miquel and Delbert, the Horizon buffet, Slice, Salty Dogs, Coffee & Cones, International Cafe. Didn't use any of the specialy restaurants.

A big thank you to Edgar for keep our stateroom spotless. He seemed to know the moment we were gone and even if it was just for a short time we would come back and like magic the bed was made the towels were clean and the garbage was gone.

Embarkation and Disembarkation was the quickest and easiest I have ever experienced.. Even at the ports there were seldom any lineups or confusion.

Ports and shore excursions are a personal choice. We only booked one in Puerto Vallarta for the Countryside & Tequila Tasting and it was well worth the price. Enjoyed it very much. In Mazatlan we walked to the Old Town by following the blue line Then we hired a palmino (the little golf cart) to drive us around to see the divers and sights nearby. Mazatlan was definitely my favourite port. Would likely do an All Inclusive ther in the future. In the other 2 ports we just walked around.

My only complaint/disappointment was in the lack and quality of theatrical productions. It was definitely the worst of any cruise I have been on. I understand that it was a new troup of singers/dancers that had just joined the ship in San Francisco but that didn't help to entertain me and all of the Princess Theatre show seemed to be limited to 45 minutes. I guess I just expected better from Princess Cruises.

Well to sum this cruise up over all it was a wonderful 10 days. Would I choose Princess again. Darn right I would. But I would want to know their line up for evening entertainment in the Princess Theatre before the ship sails.

waylyn's Full Rating Summary

Balcony

We had a balcony on Baha Deck. First time I have had a balcony. Found it had a few more squeaks and moans than an inside. But the balcony was nice to stand out on and watch sunrise/sunset and the stars or just listen to the rythym of the ocean. There's nothing that I can say bad about the cabin. Edgar kept it spotless and I never had to ask for anything.

Puerto Vallarta

Have been here before also. Just walked around the port area.

San Francisco

I love San Francisco. Have been here before but this time we flew in & took the shuttle from the airport to the cruiseport

Manzanillo

We have been here before and so just walked around the port area and picked up some soveneirs. Very clean and pretty port.

Mazatlan

Loved this port. We didn't take an excusion but walked to the Old Town and then took one of those covered golf carts/drivers for a tour to see the high divers and sights.

Cabo San Lucas

Tendered into port here. Found it very sterile but that's probably due to the hurricane destroying so much in 2014. Also there were 3 other ships in at the same time and so it was very crowded.

waylyn