I sailed with Holland America and I advise everybody to go with a different cruise line. During my ten day cruise, I daily saw passengers filing out incident/claim forms at customer service onboard. Two of the people I talked to had things stolen from them, I had also chatted with a woman in the buffet who had her cell phone stolen. On the last day while disembarking, I waited until almost everyone had left the ship because I am disabled and walk very slowly. I took my bags and closed and locked my cabin door. The room stewards were working next door and were the only people there. When I left the ship, I realized I left my purse in my cabin. Now the nightmare begins. I tried to go back, they wouldn’t let me on the ship. A port security person called ship security who sent someone to the room and the purse was gone. All my money, ID, Cell phone, credit cards, medicine gone. I did a electronic tracking on my phone that showed it was still onboard. By now all passengers had left. That left only crew as suspects. I called Holland America, got an answering machine. I called the emergency number, got another answering machine. Several days later, I got the claims office on the phone and a very rude person told me “just call the local police.” I called guest relations and basically was told too bad. I tried to get a supervisor to have security review the security camera footage on my deck, they refused saying it’s not our problem. Holland America has the absolute WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I have ever had on cruises. Holland America doesn’t care what happens to you on their ships as long as they got you money. BEWARE, don’t cruise with Holland America. And, especially don’t tale the Veendam, it’s an old ship sorely in need of repair. Do you think Holland America will respond to this? I’ll let you know. In fairness to this particular cruise, the food service staff was very good and attentive. The evening entertainment shows were so-so, a bit on the cheap side and not anything to go out of the way for. Onboard guest services (customer service) was constantly overwhelmed with passengers complaining about a variety of issues that mostly were solved by “we’ll look into it. Goodbye.” The ship itself was old and in need of some repair, for instance one or two of the elevators didn’t work, on evening before the floor show all the lights went out for about ten minutes causing a near panic. And of course, several thefts. The embarkation went smoothly, disembarking was a nightmare. Needless to say, I wouldn’t recommend this cruise to anyone.

STAY AWAY FROM HOLLAND AMERICA- THIEVES PARADISE

Veendam Cruise Review by princeamy

• Sail Date: December 2019
  • Destination: Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Lanai Ocean-View Stateroom

Do you think Holland America will respond to this? I’ll let you know.

princeamy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Veendam price drops

Lanai Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin CA
Ok, old and dated. “Balcony cabins” don’t actually have balconies but open onto a deck everyone uses for strolling around. Very deceiving and another source of numerous complaints.
Lower Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins