Carnival Valor Cruise Review
1,581 Reviews

Very, very good cruise. Could've been great...

Carnival Valor Cruise Review by draggonsgate

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Embarkation/debarkation. No complaints. New Orleans has this down pat. Carnival should take what NOLA does and clone it for all their other ports.

Ship. Before I go further, I must make it clear I am a fan of the older, smaller fantasy class Carnival ships, the Elation in particular.The Valor. My first time aboard her. She is a pretty ship. Decor is less 70's Vegas than the fantasy class, which is a plus. One annoying thing is the same thing as the Dream and her sisters. If you're on Deck 3 and want to go anywhere else on deck 3, you have to go up over and then back down due to the way the galley and dining rooms are placed. Deck space and pool space are excellent! It's also nice that the Dream Bar has extra seating for entertainment. ALL of the elevators worked EVERYDAY! Whoever thought of putting the Sushi Bar and Deli in the middle walkway of the buffet should be fired. Always congested there. Not happy about not having an outdoor beverage center between Guy's and The Cantina. Had to go into the buffet to get coffee or juice.

Cabin. Balcony on Lido deck. Typical Carnival cabin. Comfortable and clean. Samosir, our steward was excellent. I wish Carnival would understand how hard these folks work and instead of adding cabins to take care of, cut back a bit.

Food. OK, here, the Valor outshined (outshown?) every other Carnival ship I've cruised on. From the MDR to the buffet to the "fast food" places. Most everything was delicious, presented well, and served with excellence. First night out in the MDR I ordered the brisket, and it was the most tender, delicious absolutely satisfying piece of brisket I've ever had. IF I had to pick at anything, it's the length of time to get a cup of coffee in the MDR. I joked they had to go to Columbia to get the beans. My other issue... Scarlett's Steak House. I had dinner in the steak house on the Dream and the french onion soup was like dishwater. In Scarlett's, it was so overpowering, it was like biting into a beef bullion cube. But that was the ONLY issue there. The lobster and beef were perfection. And the service was beyond compare.

Entertainment. If you ever get the chance to see Cazenda. Do it. Amazing group. This trip I didn't do any of the shows or comedy club acts, but I heard they were good.

Service. Look, these folks work hard. From the deck cleaners to the wait staff to the stewards, they all do their best to ensure we have a memorable and pleasant vacation. They do their work with pride, and a smile. But... the Valor like the Dream suffers from too many passengers and not enough deck staff. It seems that the staffing numbers for the fantasy class ships are carried over to these bigger ships with 1000 more passengers, and it shows. It wasn't as bad as the Dream, but hunting down a cocktail isn't something someone should have to do on a ship. Watching your steward run themselves ragged trying to keep up with the cabins they have isn't either. No complaints at all about the service folks. This is all on Carnival's back... I get they have to make money, but they really need to rethink the service staff to passenger ratios on the bigger ships.

Ports. Cozumel. It was Cozumel. Progresso. I didn't go ashore. Did a "port day" on board.

Would I go again? Uhmmm, New Orleans and then Mexico? You bet! Laisse le bon temps rouler!

draggonsgate's Full Rating Summary