3. Grandeur of the Seas
Can you really complain when you’re on a cruise to the Bahamas? Well, just a little bit when sailing on Grandeur of the Seas. Embarkation: Due to an outbreak of a virus on the previous sailing (great start I know) they delayed embarkation to 12pm. Luckily, we purchased the key which allowed us to receive priority boarding. But people were very grumpy waiting in line. The lines were long and full of angry people. Ship: this ship is old-fashioned. It does not have a modern feel. It almost feels like being in a funeral home in many parts of the ship. The majority of it also smells stale and like cigarettes. There is also a lack of seating... very frustrating experience.also we experienced a lot of seat hogging by the pools: nobody was monitoring the seats on the deck to make sure people weren’t just leaving towels for hours on end. Cabin: we had an ocean view cabin. I was actually impressed with it. It was very clean and our stateroom attendant was fantastic. I even came back to my clothes folded one day. Wow! Dining: main dining room was so disappointing. I thought it was going to be the best part of the ship. But it was the worst. They will not allow you to sit at a table for two. I get they are trying to build a sense of community. However, my fiancé and I like dinner to unwind and relax. That’s not something I can do when I sit at a table with a group of people I don’t know. I even asked to sit by ourselves but they said no. That really angered me because vacation should be fun for everyone and it won’t be when you have to sit with huge groups at breakfast lunch and dinner. However, we greatly enjoyed Chops Grille and Giovannis. We also really enjoyed the buffet for dinner! Entertainment: let’s be honest, this ship is targeting an older demographic. And that’s perfectly ok. But the entertainment is awful. Now, let me say, we had a hilarious comedian. But he only performed two nights. And the shows filled up quickly. However, most of the time, we had no idea what to do. The cruise compass activities were just not appealing. They were stuff like trivia, Random movies, disco parties, and art auctions. But even if you wanted to do any of these things you had to get there early for a seat. Or you were left standing and uncomfortable. There was also a bad attitude on this ship. we noticed it in the lobbies. Guests/ repeat cruisers are very territorial over their spots in lobbies and act as if you are invading their space when you search for a seat. It’s crazy! Look around the centrum, you’ll see people napping, playing cards, and people on their phones. Also, we noticed, most of the time it was complete silence or really bad music. If there was music, it was someone playing the violin. Which was beautiful. But the energy was so low! We fell asleep before 10pm on most nights. When you’re on a cruise you expect to hear the cliche songs like hot, hot, hot but we didn’t hear anything like that. Service was hit and miss. Many of the crew members were so nice. However, some could be very short and rude with you. All in all, the grandeur is only okay. Maybe if you’re looking for a quiet cruise where there isn’t much happening but with pretty good food, this is a fine choice. It was also nice to leave out of Baltimore. After this cruise, we booked a different ship. So that should tell you something.

Average cruise