Le Dumont d'Urville Cruise Review

Not ready for prime time

Le Dumont d'Urville Cruise Review by Theezer

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: South America

I was totally excited to be going on this trip with Ponant to Costa Rica. Afterall great destination, French wine and french food... what is there not to like. Well was I sorely disappointed. The wine was mediocre and limited variety. At dinner many nights there was only one red or one white. The food was good not great(except for the special nights) and some of the meals were downright poor.

I had a series of complaints about the service and met with the president of Ponant North America who was on the cruise. Her repeated response was to say she would forward it to Marseille. Nary an offer of a bottle of wine or a premium drink.

Which gets me to my next point. If you purchase the premium drink package, be aware that you cannot have it in the dining room. A number of passengers were incensed at the explanation was that it was a revenue sharing issue between the restaurant and bar.

The experience was so poor that I cancelled my next trip with Ponant. I was told by crew members that Americans have higher expectations than the Europeans and that Ponant had learning to do if they want to attract the US market. Well I do not intend to find out if they are learning and hope you wont either.

I must say the ship is brand new and gorgeous. Too bad nothing else compared to it.

Theezer's Full Rating Summary

The cabins we’re gorgeous and a lot of storage room

Theezer