3. Viking Star
We took the Rome pre-extension and were very pleased with the beautiful hotel. We specifically wanted to see the no-line Coliseum underground tour, and visit the Pantheon. We had always wanted to see the Acropolis in Athens and the added bonus of Italy, Greece, Crete, Sicily and Turkey were wonderful. This Journey to Antiquities was wonderful. The only negative was that due to weather conditions, leaving port was delayed from 5 PM to the next morning. As a result we missed seeing Naples and either Pompeii or Herculaneum. This was a huge disappointment, but we were grateful that our safety was the main concern. So the morning we should have been in Naples, we departed for Sicily and had an entire extra sea day. There were activities on board, such as line dancing classes and other activities. Plenty of things to do. I was pleased with the restaurant choices and afternoon tea in the Wintergarten. There was live music played by duo violinists, and piano, and guitar in other places.. I think perhaps they rotated where the entertainment was during the day. The shops were interesting. We were given a printed newsletter the night before of the following day's activities This was very helpful. I received a menu the night before to give to the restaurant in case there were food choices not compatible for me. All staff were extremely attentive with smiles and great attitudes. They certainly made you feel special. When I went to the spa for the first time, the staff took their enough time to explain everything to me. They were extremely helpful. I didn't feel rushed, nor did any of my questions go unanswered. This being my first ocean cruise I didn't know what to expect with over 900 passengers on board. Unbelievably the ship seemed almost empty, as there was plenty of space, no lines for dining. Most of the time I used an elevator, I was the only person, or perhaps maybe total of 3 at one time. The shore excursions were fine except for the very first one, where the local guide did not hold her 'Viking" sign high enough, and my travel companion and I lost her and missed out on some of the excursion. I loved this cruise and the Viking experience. Based on previous Viking River cruises, I knew the staff would be friendly and attentive. I was not disappointed.. I can't wait to take another Viking cruise. I really enjoyed not having children on board, nor the casinos, bingo, or other activities larger ships have. There was enough entertainment to choose from and we were very pleased with all activities. Our cabin attendant was wonderful. I think the Viking Ocean cruise has spoiled me and I would not want to be on a larger ship with thousands of people and kids and teenagers. I rated the fitness//recreation a 4 because the 3 pools were 5'10" deep, and being only 5'2" you either had to swim, tread water, or hold onto the sides. The heated spa pool was relaxing and the snow grotto a delight. Viking - you are amazing. Am taking one of your river cruises in 8 weeks, but can't wait to go on another ocean voyage with you.

Fabulous Journey to Antiquities

Viking Star Cruise Review by DeeSavage

DeeSavage’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Star price drops

Cabin was clean and beds were separated ( our request). Bathroom with heated floor was really nice. Lots of space in the bathroom. Nice shelving for cosmetics, a large shower with glass doors. Plenty of closet space for hanging clothes and enough drawers for foldable clothes and things in packing cubes. Mini fridge was nice. I thought the cabin was spacious (my first ocean cruise) compared to river cruise cabins. My only suggestion would be to have a swing out mirror attached to the wall near the desk. The hairdryer had to be plugged into desk area, and no way to see the back of head. This could be an inexpensive fix, and there should be a way to attach it with a safety lock so it wouldn't swing out when not in use. We had 2 chairs in our cabin, which was nice. Overall the cabin was wonderful, clean, calming, and was a good size. The bed was wonderful.